Author Topic: Brush Blinds  (Read 6828 times)

Offline bowandarrow473

Brush Blinds
« on: August 28, 2015, 09:17:19 pm »
I'm getting ready to start my selfbow hunting season for deer in SC and was wondering. How do you guys make brush blinds? I've made them before but have always wondered if there were any other/better ways to make them. I generally just make large box like structure out of saplings and weave brush and sticks into the structure. What do you guys do?
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Brush Blinds
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 12:40:05 am »
I gather brush from the surrounding areas.  Cedar trees are great for building blinds. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 09:15:41 am »
I build a variety, some out of dead logs and branches, some out of brush with the leaves still on.

The log blinds are somewhat permanent, the brush blinds may stay in the same place but have to be replenished every time I use one.  I like to cut beech branches with the leaves on because the leaves will stay on all winter even after they are dead. I pick a spot that has some natural vegetation to weave my cut branches through.

I killed my biggest buck ever out of this blind, the front is solid but I have  holes cut to shoot through.

The blind fooled this guy for an 8 yard shot;

« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 09:19:44 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 09:19:05 am »
I also gather from surrounding areas, I try to be picky about what I grab and where I grab it from.  By doing this, I can try to manipulate in which direction I would like the deer to pass by my blind.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 10:24:09 am »
Good timing. I was at one of my haunts 3 days ago. A big box elder had fallen along the edge of the beans near a rock pile blind I already sit in. Well, I broke off at least 2 dozen branches that had dead leaves clinging. When a tree falls over green and then dies, the leaves stick. When the leaves turn on their own, they will not stick. Anywho, I took all those branches and stuffed them into the ground 3-4" deep all around my rock blind. Now I have 4' high branch walls. Ill break a few shooting holes out next time. Ground hunting is relaxing and fun for me.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 12:21:38 pm »
I gather brush from the surrounding areas.  Cedar trees are great for building blinds. 

Me too...Clint
I really like ground blinds of natural material,  in my hunting area there is a lot of small beech trees, I cut limbs this time of year to make shooting lanes and use the limbs for blind material . the leaves of beech trees turn a light brown and stay on the branches all winter just like they do naturally.
DBar

« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 07:51:35 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 02:58:31 pm »
Eric do you have any problems with deer spoting g your siloute in that type of blind? I always close up the back and sides but that looks like significantly less effort, I'd love to try it if I'll still be invisible to deer from the front.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 11:27:18 pm »
The blind is a lot thicker than it looks in the picture, deer can't see through it.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 08:07:25 am »
I've found that what is behind me is every bit as important as what is in front. At times they can peer through the front side small openings and silhouette you if your backing is inadequate.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 09:36:21 am »
Very good point Chris.......most of the time the blind is not make high enough behind you, the deer are lower to the ground than you would think and your head will be silhouetted and any motion is easily seen. 
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 12:49:24 pm »
Maybe put your back up against a tree to break up your silhouette or at least heavy brush.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 02:42:52 pm »
Down here in Florida the fronds off of Cabbage Palm trees is my choice. If you need to put a roof on in the rain you can do it pretty quick, too.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 03:57:52 pm »
 I LOVE CABBAGE PALMS!! Ive made several small blinds in the woods behind the house using them and would do the same in SC but alas none grow there.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 04:40:17 pm »
They do from the Midlands to the coast, B&A.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 09:44:12 pm »
B&A473, the ultimate turkey hunting blind.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?