Author Topic: Giant Bow  (Read 8800 times)

Offline J05H

Re: Giant Bow
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2015, 04:20:52 pm »
Very cool. My favorite part: "I lied to ya just a little bit."
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2015, 04:33:04 pm »
If they'd made the arm out of Osage it would've worked, right

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 05:08:13 pm »
If they'd made the arm out of Osage it would've worked, right

YEW!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2015, 05:18:59 pm »
... The producers went out of there way to stir up trouble it seemed like.
Yeah, I hate that sort of thing >:(.
I call it engineered (or manufactured or manipulated) conflict. They think it makes it more "interesting"... no it just makes it irritating at the expense of the real interesting stuff.
Wish they'd save that stuff for the soap operas.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2015, 05:24:06 pm »
A friend of mine worked on the reality series "Hoarders" for a short time.  He witnessed staff members working a woman over with questions like, "Do you think your kids hate you behind your back because of this?  Do you think they will ever bring their children to see you when you live like this" and so on.  When she had a breakdown they motioned for the cameras to hustle in and revel in the terror they had whipped up in this poor woman's life.   

He refuses any work involving that production company, even if it means going hungry.  But hey, whatever it takes to entertain the masses, right?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2015, 11:00:10 pm »
     So ......  when is the build at Pappy's going to be?  You could build it, and build it the right way, with a shorter, arm, and have it go more forward, and then notify the local news, people, to come watch, and make the Davinci production people look like the idiots they are by showing it can be done, and without any artificial drama, or arguments.  And that the machine works! ;)  Cool machine.  Davinci was definitely a genius!
                                   Wayne

Offline Badger

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2015, 11:57:50 pm »
  Wayne, I would rather build the giant 80 foot bow Da Vinci designed, Hickory would be perfect, make it from hickory boards, pine core. The limbs would be about 12" thick and 2 1/2 feet wide. Not sure Pappy would like something like that jamming up his property. LOL.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2015, 12:00:15 am »
What would you shoot out of it? Telephone poles maybe?
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Badger

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2015, 12:03:02 am »
30 foot telephone poles, ( skinny ones)

Offline sleek

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2015, 12:11:51 am »
Haha "If at first you don't succeed you're running about average." I like that crazy guy.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2015, 12:16:37 am »
That was a fun watch, although I agree with everyone that the manufactured drama was not only unnecessary but took away from the episode.  It would have been far more interesting if they had shown some of the process you had to go through to figure out what the draw weight and such was. 

Offline jayman448

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2015, 02:45:26 am »
A funny side note. One of the guys from my club is a giant. Ge must be seven foot two. You can imagine the draw length on a guy like that. Its a darn good thing he is as good a bowier as he is if u know what i mean xD

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2015, 03:50:13 am »
Steve that is awesome that they picked you to help with the build. I'm really glad they had enough brains to find someone in the primitive archery realm to help with the build.

I would have liked to see more of your design work as well. I also was trying to figure out why they had the arm stopping so short and not using all of the stored energy that was left in the limbs. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2015, 08:47:59 am »
Very cool Steve,enjoyed it. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2015, 10:30:54 am »

I would have liked to see more of your design work as well. I also was trying to figure out why they had the arm stopping so short and not using all of the stored energy that was left in the limbs. Patrick

I was also wondering why they didn't go with something that had a bit more "give" to it, like a spring or another flexed piece of wood if that would be more in style with the device and have that span of rope as the emergency back-up.