Author Topic: Warbows in Magazine Article  (Read 5650 times)

Offline WillS

Warbows in Magazine Article
« on: August 29, 2015, 06:28:07 am »
As a continuation of my post in the Arrows section, these are some of the pictures of my bows that were taken for the History Of War magazine article that came out a couple of months ago.

These aren't newly made bows, and I've probably posted bad photos of them before when I actually made them, but the photographs themselves are quite nice, and they managed to get them full length, which I always find very difficult to do!  No full draw shots of course, as it was in a studio.

First, a 125# Pacific yew

105# English yew with side nocks

60# spliced English yew with side nocks

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Warbows in Magazine Article
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 08:40:56 am »
Nice  :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 10:39:05 am »
Absolutely beautiful
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline brian

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 10:44:38 am »
just been admiring Wills and Blacksmiths bows ,just one observation i will make, the string touching the belly of the bow when braced,i know of one august body where this is frowned upon and considered a complete anathema,reason being, string slaps the belly of the bow when shot . your considered opinions would be appreciated .                               

Offline WillS

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 11:27:23 am »
Brian,

Are you referring to where the string loop touches just below the nock?  In my case that's just my sloppiness in the loop being made too large I think.  I've not noticed any detrimental effects when shooting.  I assume the rules you're referring to are based more on inducing recurves, no?

Offline Bowman

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 03:47:27 pm »
Kind of nice bows Will. Nice photos. :-)
"for veik var kongens bue......."

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 02:05:21 pm »
Those photos are awesome! Really pretty horn nocks! Nice looking bows! Congrats on the article, is there a way to read it online?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline WillS

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 03:41:17 pm »
Cheers Daniel.  Not seen you around for ages man!

Can't read it online sadly, but if you want I can send you a version of the initial draft.  It's got some inaccuracies in there that I had to proof read and change for them, but the photo spread is complete with all the pictures and annotations, and there's a page on arrowheads and their uses that I wrote with the help of Mark Stretton.  Let me know if you want the PDF and I'll wing it over to you.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 08:29:18 am »
Cheers Daniel.  Not seen you around for ages man!

Can't read it online sadly, but if you want I can send you a version of the initial draft.  It's got some inaccuracies in there that I had to proof read and change for them, but the photo spread is complete with all the pictures and annotations, and there's a page on arrowheads and their uses that I wrote with the help of Mark Stretton.  Let me know if you want the PDF and I'll wing it over to you.

Sure, ill take the pdf. I'll PM you my email. Ya I have been busy, but I am trying to get back into making bows.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 06:13:47 pm »
Those photos do justice to your amazing bows. Totally Fantastic! I love the arrows and quiver also.  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 10:33:35 am »
just been admiring Wills and Blacksmiths bows ,just one observation i will make, the string touching the belly of the bow when braced,i know of one august body where this is frowned upon and considered a complete anathema,reason being, string slaps the belly of the bow when shot . your considered opinions would be appreciated .                               
It's a classic case of badly written rules by people who are incapable of accurate observation and who don't make bows.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/nock-nock-rules-rules.html
Del

Offline Ian.

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 11:45:02 pm »
It's a classic case of badly written rules by people who are incapable of accurate observation and who don't make bows.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/nock-nock-rules-rules.html
Del

The Guild?
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 02:23:08 am »
No. the BLBS and various other shooting organisations...
If you read the post on my blog (the link in the previous post, it lists them... the ILAA is the only one with a fully detailed specification which includes the rationale  behind each point)
Poorly written spec's usually degenerate into semantics...
In WillS pictures, you can see it is self evidently a warbow... the stuff about string not touching limb is self evidently nonsense.
If the nocks on his bow were made into fat ugly bulky things they would hold the string clear of the wood... so he should be penalized for making slim elegant tidy nocks?
You can see in this post I made nocks to be 100% compliant with the silly ruling by simply leaving extra horn on the belly side and shaping it to hold the string clear... they are uglier than my usual nocks and make no difference what so ever to anything other than the cosmetics of the bow tip..
This bow was made specifically for someone to shoot BLBS, he then backed out on the deal >:( (The bow still found a happy home with a nice lady archer, who does target and field :-*)
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/target-bow-nearly-finished.html
Del
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 02:34:20 am by Del the cat »