Author Topic: honeysuckle shorty  (Read 7212 times)

Offline dylanholderman

honeysuckle shorty
« on: August 29, 2015, 05:50:59 pm »
got a little short bow here 54 1/4 inch ntn and somewhere in the neighborhood of 40-50 at 26in draw >:D

nocks are cotton cord sealed with TB3

handle is a hemp wrap with  a copper strike plate.

brace, full draw, and unstrung

back & belly. back has a few knots.

let me know what you guys think ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: honeysuckle shorty
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 05:53:44 pm »
Very nice work, Dylan. Who would have thunk, a honeysuckle bow.  Cool. 8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GB

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 06:00:37 pm »
I think that's a cool little bow with a lovely bend.  Nice work.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 06:14:06 pm »
Nice lil bow, Dylan. And drawn to 26. Congrats!

How challenging do you find it to string the bow with those "cord" nocks sittin' on limb?

p.s. - the pipe's new owner is VERY happy with it.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 06:16:22 pm »
Nicely done. How is the honey suckle as a bow wood? I cut a couple 3" dia. staves of it about 4-5 years ago and it checked on me terribly before I got a chance to try it. We have acres of the stuff in this area, thickets you have to crawl on your knees to get through.
Again, nice work on that little shorty.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 08:54:46 pm »
Nice lil bow, Dylan. And drawn to 26. Congrats!

How challenging do you find it to string the bow with those "cord" nocks sittin' on limb?

p.s. - the pipe's new owner is VERY happy with it.
thanks knoll ;D its rather awkward to string and most archers will probably flip there lid to see me do it :o ::)  i put the loop on the bottom limb put that tip on the ground and bend the bow with my knee and a hand on the top limb till i can put the top loop on :o >:D

and thanks for that p.s. on the pipe, makes me happy to know that i made something that someone else is enjoying  ;D

Nicely done. How is the honey suckle as a bow wood? I cut a couple 3" dia. staves of it about 4-5 years ago and it checked on me terribly before I got a chance to try it. We have acres of the stuff in this area, thickets you have to crawl on your knees to get through.
Again, nice work on that little shorty.

i think it has a lot to offer as a bow wood seems to be very tension strong (but when it go's you know about it that's for sure) and i have never had it chrysle(spelling?) on me  :D

the most successful way of seasoning it i have found is to pic the side you want as your back seal the ends and reduce the belly side down to or most of the way to the pith, any checking you get after that should be very minor ;).
 i have also had some some good luck cutting it in the middle of a cold winter(a foot or two on the ground for at least two months) wood cut at that time i have dried in the round with out to many problems.
if you have a piece big enough to get two staves from splitting can be problematic(it does not like to split straight when it is green) but i recently tried a new(to me) way of guiding the split. i drilled a 1/4in hole every two inches down what i wanted to be my split line and opened it up with a axe. seemed to work fairly well :).

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 09:00:15 pm »
Cool little bow.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 09:40:22 pm »
Really cool bow sir, great work.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 10:01:02 pm »
One of a kind!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 10:15:00 pm »
No honey suckle down here but I see a lot in States north of us but never any big enough to make a bow. Well Done, I like simple more and more each day.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 10:25:08 pm »
y
No honey suckle down here but I see a lot in States north of us but never any big enough to make a bow. Well Done, I like simple more and more each day.
Yeah more and more each day................simple
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Drewster

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 10:28:01 pm »
That is a cool little bow for sure.  I wasn't aware that honeysuckle got big enough to make a bow.......it doesn't in the NC hills.  Congrats on the good work.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 10:31:55 pm »
Thanks for the info dylan.  I think I'll look for a couple to cut this winter, there is some big stuff here and it is not to difficult to find some in the 3" diameter range and fairly clean. If I remember right the ones I had a few years back seemed pretty dense and heavy, cut in Sept. I think.
Thats some impressive draw length you got out of that short bow. How much reflex did you start with and
did it end up taking much set? Looks very well tillered and I'm sure that must have kept the set to a minimum.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Online ajooter

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 10:51:21 pm »
Great lookin little bow with a sweet bend.  Hope it serves you well.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 12:16:22 am »
That is a cool little bow for sure.  I wasn't aware that honeysuckle got big enough to make a bow.......it doesn't in the NC hills.  Congrats on the good work.
heh you should see the piece i have hidden away in my room, long and thick enough that i'm going to try making a warbow out of it >:D

Thanks for the info dylan.  I think I'll look for a couple to cut this winter, there is some big stuff here and it is not to difficult to find some in the 3" diameter range and fairly clean. If I remember right the ones I had a few years back seemed pretty dense and heavy, cut in Sept. I think.
Thats some impressive draw length you got out of that short bow. How much reflex did you start with and
did it end up taking much set? Looks very well tillered and I'm sure that must have kept the set to a minimum.

the reflex .............. fluctuated. starting out i barely had 1in, about half way through the build i had 2-3in. now its settled at about dead flat and i'm happy with that :)