Author Topic: What to use?  (Read 3012 times)

Offline JonW

What to use?
« on: August 30, 2015, 06:05:27 pm »
Well after making my trade bow this year. I have come to determine I can pull quite a bit more than I thought. My trade bow came out at 82# and I would have bet it was 65#. I shot this bow all day one day at MOJAM around the course so I think I'm ready for a heavyweight. To make a long story longer, what wood should I use? I have access to Osage, Elm, and HHB and Hickory saplings or would split staves work better? Dimension? I'm not a noob to making bows so please answer accordingly.

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: What to use?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 07:52:30 pm »
How well did you shoot it??   :-\
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline JonW

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 08:10:21 pm »
Pretty well actually. What are you getting at?

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 08:13:44 pm »
You asked what type of wood to use?..... ???
I'd use the what that bow was made from if you shot it well................
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 08:17:54 pm »
That bow you were shooting was 85#??!! Shot it quite well!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 04:26:55 am »
What do you want to use it for? A warbow isn't really designed for shooting at 3Ds.
Are you after a heavy weight bow for 3Ds or a Warbow for shooting imaginary French knights at 200 plus yards?
The main difference being draw length, and thus bow length.
As a noob, I'd say probably Hickory is a good bet.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 06:04:01 am »
Are you looking to make a true elb or a heavy bow of no particular design?

Offline JonW

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 07:57:11 am »
Im looking for something like an ELB. I know how to make a heavy bow just never made a real ELB. It doesnt need to be EWBS specs just long and lean so to speak :) No 3D just launching pool cues ;)

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 10:07:04 am »
Any of the woods ya mentioned will work jon. Whats prob more important is you choosing the right piece of wood that will be up to the task of holding to the heavier strain..go thru your stash and find a close to hundred percent clean with little to no twist,and straight stave thats also long enough. Once ya find a good candidate come back and ask for dimensions. Obviously osage will be a lil shorter and narrower than the whitewoods ya listed etc etc....

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 02:15:14 pm »
As Blackhawk says if it an elb bow you are after then straightness and no twist are very important. Otherwise you end up fighting string alignment too much for it to be a fun exercise! I've tried a few of these sort of bows out of less than perfect elm staves and ended up chasing heat corrections = firewood.