Author Topic: Too greedy...  (Read 1918 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Too greedy...
« on: August 31, 2015, 02:13:10 am »
So recently I got my hands on some gorgeous rainbow obsidian and I broke it...

I oogled over this piece and swore I wouldn't touch it until I was ready.

I was like oh well I'm not sure about when the next time I'll get to knapp is so I'm feeling pretty good about this so I started reducing

I don't even know how but it just like popped in half

I ended up getting a small point that I gave to a friend for a necklace and it still had some color in it.  He works at the best pizza place ever so he used his employee discount on me and paid the rest so I got a free pizza and a salad.  It was delish and he even put Primitive Tim on the reciept :D

Then I reach into my bucket and the sun hit this piece and I had no idea I had some purple sheen.  I was so stoked and I swore I wasn't going to screw this one up so I start thinning and reducing.  I set up a platform that's going to take of a big chunk and make this a beautiful biface... I over shoot it but I think I have enough left on there to make a pretty point.

So after the steam stopped pouring out of my ears I took the nastiest, ugliest, thickest, gnarliest chunk of obsidian I had and I crank this stupid point out like no problem.  This came out of a very difficult piece and I got me a nice little hunting point. 

After all of this, I have decided that I'm addicted to rainbow/sheen obsidian and I'm going back up to Davis Creek to collect some more before I leave Tahoe.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline TRACY

Re: Too greedy...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 05:49:34 am »
Happy ending Tim! Don't get attached until their finished.  ;D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 10:44:31 am »
That's some pretty stuff Tim. 8)
There is a saying,-- goes something like this-
Good flint is a lady but obsidian is a lady of the night. >:D
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 09:54:08 pm »
That's some pretty stone Tim.

Offline Majuba Tom

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 08:11:49 am »
Looking nice Tim. I am glad you have liked it in Tahoe. I thought you would that is why I told you to check it out. Do you know how much longer you are going to stay in the area?

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 08:48:56 am »
That's some nice looking stone.
Northern Ute

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 01:18:46 pm »
Nice looking pieces PT! Still woulda been nice to meet your folks...... :D

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 01:56:12 pm »
Looking nice Tim. I am glad you have liked it in Tahoe. I thought you would that is why I told you to check it out. Do you know how much longer you are going to stay in the area?
  Probably just a couple more weeks.  I put in my two weeks at work last monday :)
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Majuba Tom

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 07:11:17 pm »
If you have not been to Virginia City yet. You should check it out and go on one of the mine tours before you leave the area.