Author Topic: Buffalo arrows  (Read 30575 times)

Offline adb

Re: Buffalo arrows
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 01:18:11 pm »
2 square miles is a big area. I hunt deer in a 1 square mile parcel of land, and they NEVER leave. It is unfenced, however, and they could if need be.
To each his own. If you feel the hunt is ethical, it's you that looks back from the mirror in the morning. Primitive bow vs Buff... sounds like even odds to me. It's not just gonna stand around.
Your bow? If it was me, I'd use something else. I have a 62" NTN, hickory backed osage, 70#@27", tillered bendy handle. I'd use heavy wood shafts, probably fir or ash,  and a 2 blade broahead, probably a 190gn Grizzly. You want PENETRATION, not speed. At <20 yards, tragectory won't matter.
I think I'd take a clean pair of shorts, if you go without back-up!!

Offline Little John

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 01:43:05 pm »
I am with Jamie and Billy. A buffaloe hunt excites me a lot and since the chances and expense of a truly fair chase hunt lets me out, then I have no problem with ranch raised animals. There is an outfit here close to my home that puts some animals in a 320 acre fenced in patch of brush and thick  forrest and, I undrestand it is challenging even for rifle hunters, as the bison never lose their wildness and act just like deer (leave in a hurry at the first sound, smell or sight of a hunter). Three hundred and twenty acres don't sound like much, but it is one mile by one half mile and can hide a bunch of buffaloe and they always have the option to leave. The only thing holding me back is the 1400 dollars. I also found a ranch in North Dakota that does hunts on fairly large tracts of fenced in native grasslands, would love to go. I would try to set up a blind at the water and get a good shot opportunity or try stalking, I bet there would still be tons of adrenalyn running and you cant argue with the good eating. You might want to read the article in the latest edition of traditional Bowhunter  on arrow penetration and lethality and make sure you have arrows that are well tuned to your bow and that are going to perform and penetrate deeply, not some traded for arrows that might not work well in your marginal weight bow. Good luck, have fun, and let us know how it turns out.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2008, 03:05:02 pm »
 If it was me, I'd use a stronger bow and heavier arrows. I don't think the gear you have will do the job. If I was going to hunt it, I couldn't bring myself to do it with a backup shooter. Kinda takes the Primitive out of it. Like ol' Tred hunting in every episode with a pistol on his hip.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Little John

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 03:29:41 pm »
I hear ya Eddie, on the back up and pistol on hip. Oh by the way I finally got your feathers off yesterday. Sorry for being so slow.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2008, 03:31:42 pm »
I sold a bow to a guy a few years ago who killed a 600# cow buff with it on a penned type hunt. 55# bow shooting in the high 160's with 550 grain arrows, 1st shot was high and penetration was only a few inches with no damage to the animal, second shot was in the bread basket and got both lungs. A 55# primitive bow will not shoot through a rib so you have to hit the animal going away or just hope you hit inbetween the ribs. Steve
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 03:34:59 pm by Badger »

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008, 04:59:48 pm »
Tatanka! are a very powerfull animal with a whole array of weaponry designed to defend itself against predators. Even a pinned up bison can inflict severe damage on you if the shot placement is not exact, and you will need heavy arrows to insure the best possible penetration with your lighter poundage bow. Although I do not hunt fenced hunts myself or condone them, I do believe the hunt should be a personal choice for each individual. I will not criticise your choice of game hunted or methods used.  I do believe we as hunters specificaly bow hunters owe it to the animal to do everything you can to ensure a quick and humane kill with our primitive equipment and I wish you the best of luck in your adventure.. If you do decide to harvest a Buffalo please honor the spirit of the bufalo and the hunt by doing everything you can to ensure a desirable outcome for you as an archer, and the buffalo as a worthy prey I speak from my heart and wish you the best of luck ....Mike A/ho 
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 05:03:43 pm »
  Thanks Kenneth, You'll never hear me complain about a gift.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Little John

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2008, 05:26:15 pm »
Thanks Steve for the report on the cow buffaloe and penetration. I think we as a whole expect more from our bows than they will consistantly deliver. What an arrow will do one time is not what it will do the next. I think the article on penetration in the traditional bowhunter should be required reading as many things have influences on penetration, and performance can be greatly improved on. Heavy arrows alone cant ensure bone breaking as that requires energy, and energy goes up much faster with speed than with weight. I think when we go after larger game than deer we should strive to shoot as heavy bows as we can shoot well and that means body conditioning and practice.   Kenneth

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2008, 06:17:27 pm »
  A more in depth read is on The website Tradgang. The same author did a good penetration study with different broadheads and bows on African big game. The results is why bow hunting is legal today in a lot of African countries.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2008, 08:51:10 pm »
Bring backup! If using a pistol go for the heavy duty stuff like a .50. Best yet, lever action in at least .45-70. At twenty yards if you wound a Bison it can turn on you and turn you into jellied patie de human! These are not deer!!!!

“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2008, 09:17:25 pm »
Bring backup! If using a pistol go for the heavy duty stuff like a .50. Best yet, lever action in at least .45-70. At twenty yards if you wound a Bison it can turn on you and turn you into jellied patie de human! These are not deer!!!!

Backup is a big freaking knife or better yet a spear.  >:D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2008, 10:00:13 pm »
Hmmm! Justin I think you must have a death wish!!!! Remember Buff. big, you small, go SQUISH!!!!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Little John

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2008, 10:26:26 pm »
You know that is why the Native Americans hunted the young, easier to kill and much less dangerous. Also better eating and nicer hides, the hide from an old bull was only good for making a war shield.  Kenneth

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2008, 10:35:31 pm »
Yup! Plus, old bulls are like old men...grumpy and dang trigger happy!!!  >:D

Bishop

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2008, 10:43:48 pm »
a little off topic but in my much younger and much much dumber college days, at a rodeo, i tried to ride a Beefalo for 8 seconds to win 10 thousand cash...um, i didnt go home with the money and to top it off that sucker gave me a glancing stomp i will never forget.... ;D
Bishop