Author Topic: Buffalo arrows  (Read 30766 times)

Offline adb

Re: Buffalo arrows
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2008, 10:52:30 pm »
Hey, Little John
I think you have speed/energy, etc., mixed up. We're not talking bullets, here. Question for you? Would you rather get hit in the head with a ping pong ball travelling 100 miles/hr., or a baseball travelling 50 miles/hr.? I know what I'd want. One would hurt, the other would probably kill you. Heavy arrows penetrate better... period. With long, heavy, two blade broadheads... period. Read that article in the latest Trad Bowhunter. It's excellent.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2008, 10:57:21 pm »
  If you are afraid of getting hurt, stay home or shoot it with a gun.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2008, 11:17:35 pm »
Hmmm! Justin I think you must have a death wish!!!! Remember Buff. big, you small, go SQUISH!!!!  ;D
David, I think this is where we ask the tough questions.  Why do you hunt? What does life mean to you, your's and the buffalo's? He has his tools I have mine, now the challenge is who wins. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2008, 12:55:37 am »
.........David-you dont hunt do you ? Too dangerous isnt it ?  :'(......bob
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 01:13:09 am by Coo-wah-chobee »

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2008, 01:27:23 am »
The idea of hunting is that one challenges themselves to bring home the bacon (or this case Buffalo) without becoming the bacon! I prefer not to be the bacon but to be challenged. Being jellied human Pate is not my idea of fun!  ;D  Lets all remember that there are bold hunter and old hunter but no bold-old hunters!!!!

“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2008, 01:31:39 am »
The idea of hunting is that one challenges themselves to bring home the bacon (or this case Buffalo) without becoming the bacon! I prefer not to be the bacon but to be challenged. Being jellied human Pate is not my idea of fun!  ;D  Lets all remember that there are bold hunter and old hunter but no bold-old hunters!!!!

.....................I luv cliches ! However inaccurate they are ! Ya made my day ! ;D ;D ;D......bob
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 01:38:54 am by Justin Snyder »

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2008, 01:43:56 am »

Vegetarian: an old Indian word for bad hunter.  He got old while he was home doing squaw work.   :'( Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2008, 02:40:54 am »
Wow, I just read all the posts. I guess I really did kick a hornets nest did'nt I Bishop. It has been a very stimulating conversasion. I actually appreciate the opposing comments and concerns.
To my indian brother.... I have already begun thanking God for the provision and it is with a heart of gratitude that I will accept the sacrifice of the buffalo to feed my family this year. I will in no way disrespect her. I appreciate your willingness to recognize the respect due the buffalos spirit and I intend to honor it as well.
For those that don't like the canned hunt thing, I understand. I didn't go into this with the hunt in mind. I heard about the cull and not being a trophy hunter I'm going for a 4-6yr old cow. Not having a stock trailer I figured might as well kill it there and load it in the back of the pickup and take it to the processor. Then I got to thinking would'nt it be an interesting experience to try and take it with the bow. I visualized shooting it in the pen with the bow and I thought " well then that not very sporting." Thats when I thought about doing the stalk or ambush. I appreciate the purity that you are defending and I appologize if you have been offended by my post. What I just described was the logical progression of my thoughts and I still stand by my reasoning.

In reference to the tackle comments I am all ears. If this had been a planned thing then I would have made my own gear. Call me a romantic if you will but I thought if I was gonna do it with the bow I might as well see if I could procure a good set of arras for the task by offering up one of my fat ringed osage staves. I don't have access to a heavier bow so if I go through with the bow harvest it will have to be with the Virgin Hickory. Obviously there is a certain danger level in this pursuit and I am not trying to prove my manhood. The anticipatiion does get my heart rate up though and I thought it is better to know your limitations and if possible plan for worst. If the general concensus is that the 55# bow is too light then I may need to rethink the weapon of choice.

"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2008, 03:01:53 am »
 Danny....who is yer Indian brother ?..bob

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2008, 03:03:29 am »

.....................I luv cliches ! However inaccurate they are ! Ya made my day ! ;D ;D ;D......bob

I thought you'd get a chuckle out of that one Bob!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Little John

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2008, 03:19:09 am »
With regards to heavy arrows always penetrating better. Howard Hill states in his book, hunting the hard way that the bow needs enough speed of cast and follow thru to throw a heavy arrow. I think that with out enough speed of cast that a heavy arrow is still just a heavy arrow. Just because an arrow is heavy dosent mean it is magic and will shoot thru bone and grissle with authority.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2008, 03:28:27 am »
coo-wah-chobee,
  When I was responding to the replies I could not remember who it was that had made the good comment about honoring the bufaloes spirit so I addressed that portion of the response to "my indian brother" . I have since gone back and read who it was and it was Hawkbow I was addressing. I could be wrong about him being my indian brother but he sure made a good point that I thought sounded like an Indian perspective. Why do you ask? Are you Indian?  My grandmothers grandfather was either Cherokee or Choctaw I don't know which as we all lived like whitemen and I cannot find out for sure as all the old ones are now gone.   Danny

Offline adb

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2008, 01:15:52 pm »
Little John
Please read the article in the latest Trad Bowhunter about penetration and broadheads by Dr. Ed Ashby. He has dedicated his life to this subject. I used to think like you... all about speed and flat tragectory. I changed my mind. Read it... please.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 02:18:40 pm by adb3112 »

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2008, 01:44:34 pm »
yeah I read that article as well adb. I would say Dr Ashby has definitley done the research and his info should be reliable. Heavier arrows are definitley in order. How much heavier I guess is the question?   Danny

Offline John K

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2008, 04:59:07 pm »
Well i'm going to put my 2cents in.
I would never get in a pen with a Buffalo !
When i worked at the butcher shop, farmers would bring in there Buffalo to be processed.
They where in a trailer and when you poked you'r head into the trailer ( the little windows along to the top ) those things would charge you like you wouldn't believe. We would try and shoot them in the ear 3inch slug for a quick kill. This did not always work sometimes it took 2 or 3 shots they are tough animals and i hope who ever you have backing you up with the gun can shoot.

Whatever you decide i wish you luck !

FB
The only way to fail is to never start !