Author Topic: Bark Tannin  (Read 1758 times)

Offline bushman

Bark Tannin
« on: September 01, 2015, 01:18:47 am »
Has anyone ever tried bark tannin before? I was just wonderin if you made up a big batch of bark tea if it would go bad over time? Or can you only make up what you immediately need? Thanks.
Bushman

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Bark Tannin
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 04:08:38 am »
I have never tried it but would think it would go rancid after a while unless you kept it cold or frozen.
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 09:23:30 pm »
I have read that early pioneers would mix a batch of chopped,pulverized oak bark and put it in a pit or hollowed log. They would add the scraped and dehaired hides into the layers of bark. Then add water to it. The strength of the tannin would slowly strengthen as it leached out of the bark. ( if you put a hide into a strong tannin it can harden the surface and make tanning slow) They would then leave the hides in the tannin for months or a year or more for heavy hides (cow). An edge cut would show how deep or complete the tannin had made it into the hide. A small piece could be dropped into hot boiling water and if it didn't shrivel and cook it was tanned. It would then be oiled to finish.

The bark was sometimes changed after months with fresh but that was just to strengthen it again. So, I suspect the bark tannin is not good for bacteria growth like stagnant water and probably not good mosquito hatching either.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 09:26:51 pm »
Another option is Quebracho tanning which is also a vegetable tan. It can be purchased from taxidermy businesses such as Van Dykes. It involves using salts, pickle and bark vegetable tan. It can made an excellent deer hide tan that is thick.  Good luck
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes