Author Topic: Sheep Horn Bow build (complete)  (Read 45267 times)

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
Re: Sheep Horn Bow build (HELP) along
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2015, 03:58:19 pm »
I bet its gaining reflex you will be amazed at the reflex these bighorn sheep bows will take.
Northern Ute

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2015, 02:50:46 am »
Hi Goat this is a fascinating follow along. I'm really looking forward to seeing how your horn bow turns out!  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Montanaoutdoors

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2015, 12:26:20 pm »
Looking forward to seeing this completed!

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2015, 03:35:59 pm »
Cheers guys, stoked to see there's some interest in this build.
I've done 1 layer of handle wrapping. I'll do one more and work in the tips a bit.
It's amazing how much reflex it's taken, I'm a little concerned but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I'll start trying to bend it in a month or so

Offline DC

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2015, 04:35:28 pm »
Can you strap it to a 2x4 to stop it from developing too much reflex or would it tear itself apart? Or break the 2x4 ;D

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2015, 03:46:44 pm »
DC- apparently lots of the reflex gets worked out, so I won't worry about it yet.
   What was once an easily braced horn core, now barely moves when I bend it over my knee.
    Its only been seasoning for a bit over a month so in the corner it sits.
    This is what it looks like right now.

Still need to do another handle wrapping or 2, also some work on the tips. Soon.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2015, 06:32:32 pm »
Lookin great Goat

Offline DC

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2015, 06:50:21 pm »
That looks great. You would have had a tough time finding a 2x4 to strap that to.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2015, 11:51:40 am »
Looks real good.  Gonna make a sinew string?
1’—>1’

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2015, 12:33:58 pm »
Coming along nicely

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2015, 07:30:05 pm »
Cheers guys.
Parnell, this bow will for sure get a sinew string, I couldn't picture the bow without it!
 There's not too many sinew string build alongs out there, I'll put some photos up when I make mine. I'll tiller it with fast flight though

Offline Ryan3880

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2015, 10:38:15 am »
If you put another layer of sinew you may want to string the tips together. Put a stout stick in the cords of your string that's long enough to touch the handle then using he stick twist the string tighter and tighter till the tips are almost touching. Then place the stick on the side of the handle and leave it that way for a
Month and it will reflex even better than just the sinew alone. Did my stick trick make any sense?

Name of the game with those horn bows is reflex the sinew is so incredible in tension and horn in compression you can do things with them (in regard to the energy storage) that you just can't with a horn bow that includes a wooden belly. Also for your final tiller don't scrape any more horn off just use heat and it will flex this way or that for you

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2015, 11:56:53 am »
Thanks Ryan, I'm all done with the sinew, I think this is enough starting reflex for me.
I reverse braced my wood sinew bows but I really wanted to see how this one would curl up without it.
Have you made many horn bows? If so please post some! There isn't very many of these bows posted

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2015, 01:21:55 pm »
Have you made many horn bows? If so please post some! There isn't very many of these bows posted

I concur, please post some if you have them!

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2015, 05:42:26 pm »
As far as I know that string reflex method Ryan is talking about was only used on composites with a wood core in Asia. One of the main reasons for the wood core was stability to reduce twist of the horn. If you have tips touching on horn sinew bows you may have to work out a lot of twist. The bow will also be very unstable in the beginning. Also the horn belly on horn sinew bows is thicker than true composites. You have a normal amount of reflex for a seasoning sheephorn bow. I would not try for more unless your bow is very light(less than 40#)