Author Topic: Sheep Horn Bow build (complete)  (Read 45318 times)

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
Re: Sheep Horn Bow build (HELP) along
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2015, 10:09:20 pm »
These bows always look intimidating to try and get a string on.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2015, 03:06:14 pm »
Alrighty, I've recently finished with the messy stuff. 4 handle wrappings, and 3 sessions on the tips to get them how I wanted.
Maybe a bit overbuilt in the handle, but it seems like when these bows fail its usually in the handle area.
The reflex seems like its stopped gaining anymore, now the toughest part, let this thing sit for another 3-5 months.
Heres a few pics.

And number 2 in the works.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2015, 03:34:00 pm »
Very cool Ryan

Offline Parnell

« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2015, 03:45:40 pm »
Good looking horns, what's the length?
1’—>1’

Offline DC

« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2015, 07:35:19 pm »
Is that just leg after leg of sinew on the handle?

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2015, 03:35:27 am »
The curve on that baby is off the hook!  :D
Seems like you'll be knocking out the hornbows like you do the Yew ones!  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2015, 08:23:34 am »
Lordy wizgoat I'm watching here.Quite a build.Cool looking bow.Wish I liked shooting those short bows,but still like the whole process your going through there with natural materials etc. and the tillering is something else too I'm sure.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2015, 10:57:40 am »
Making some progress on number 2, getting your horns to bending billets is the most time consuming part.
Parnell- new horns are about 24", but I'll probably end up with around 16" of usable length, hopefully more.
DC- pretty much! There's a lot of sinew on the handle, I hope it pays off
Sieddy- I hope so, it's tough finding good horns though, a little easier finding nice yew and a lot cheaper 😉
Beadman- i enjoy shooting short bows, I'm mostly making this bow just to make it. I have a general idea on tillering, but I'm a little nervous for that part.

blackhawk

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2015, 04:31:56 pm »
Is it dry yet?  ;D hows number two coming along?  ;D  ....sorry to be that nosey nieghbor  8) 

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2015, 10:31:32 pm »
Hehe no my patience hasn't cracked on this one yet, got plenty of other things to keep me busy till this thing can be taught to bend.  I've got the billets roughed out for #2, they need more shaping.
Working on a batch of dogwood arrows with trade points to accompany this bow.
Too many bows too little time

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2015, 08:10:54 am »
This has been a cool build along, Goatster!  Can't wait for the next installment.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2015, 09:17:48 am »
Hehe no my patience hasn't cracked on this one yet, got plenty of other things to keep me busy till this thing can be taught to bend.  I've got the billets roughed out for #2, they need more shaping.
Working on a batch of dogwood arrows with trade points to accompany this bow.
Too many bows too little time
I'm not quite sure there is such a thing as "too many bows"

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2015, 10:36:22 pm »
Cheers Matt!
Aaron, I totally agree  ;)

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2016, 02:56:33 am »
Alrighty guys, its been about 5 months so I figured I should get back into this bow.
The limbs were quite stiff, I removed some horn with a scraper to get things moving again.
Heres a pic of starting reflex, and below it is horn bow number 2, awaiting a little more shaping and its sinew back.

I made this new caul, after seeing one of Chucks. I decided to remove a fair amount of reflex, to UP my chances of success, and to get a nice 5 curve look.
Using a heat gun for about 10-15 second on each limb, aimed at the horn belly, the limbs bent over the form easily.

I left it for a couple of days, unclamped it and was happy with how it looked.

I began to bend the bow over my knee holding each tip, much like I would with a short bow or kids bow. I took a few scrapes here and there, and tried to even up the bend.
First brace....was a little awkward. Short reflexed bows are never easy to string, and this one took the cake.
It didnt look half bad on the first brace, but took another 4 or 5 heat corrections and lots of scraping and sanding before it looked how I wanted it too.
I did take lots of photos of this process, I won't post them all, just where it ended up.

String alignment is good, and very little twist. Im happy I spent the extra time on the core dealing with these issues way back when.

Soon as I had it braced to a decent profile and height, I began to exercise it on my tree. I wasn't hoping for a high draw weight, somewhere between 40-50# would be just fine.
The bow is 30.5" ntn and has a 4" static handle. On that first session I could pull it to 12" before seeing a problem.
My thickness taper was super close, but my bottom limb looked to be bending too much in the deflex portion.
I decided to heat out some of the deflex, and it really seemed to help.
Again, I took many photos of the tillering process, but so many photos looking nearly identical would be a little boring.
This is where I ended up last night. I'll admit its not perfect, still needs a little work, but Im so happy to see this bow come to life.
I think I'm pulling 15" here, about 45#. I had her out to 16", and I think thats as far as I want her to go.
Shot about 30 arrows so far, I love it.

And thats a wrap for this build along. I'm going to do some small tweaks, pretty her up, and make a matching set of northern plains style arrows.
And of course a sinew string. Thanks to those that showed interest in this build.  I certainly learned alot, I hope you did too.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2016, 06:54:05 am »
That bow turned out great.  It's amazing how much power can be stored in a short bow like that.  Great job on the build.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left