Author Topic: Springfield, MO Gathering under the Ash tree shade in my yard... (Sept 12th)  (Read 16683 times)

Offline Onebowonder

Re: Springfield, MO Gathering under the Ash tree shade in my yard... (Sept 12th)
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2015, 11:36:58 am »
Was there banana bread...?
Wish I could have made it there.

Oddly enough, we did start the day off with a plate of Banana Nut bread, (with blueberries this time), and coffee!

Hopefully the next one can work for you sir...

OneBow

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: Springfield, MO Gathering under the Ash tree shade in my yard... (Sept 12th)
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2015, 11:38:59 am »
Left my purse behind??!!!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2015, 12:22:00 pm »
Dave, wish you could have been there too! It was a great time!

Eric, I know where those canopies belong and the arm guard. I guess we should have watched our a little better for  Mikes purse.

Glad you found everything! And sorry about all the wood shavings we left!
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline DavidV

« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2015, 01:00:45 pm »
I sure had a fun time meeting everyone....and the food was great
Springfield, MO

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2015, 01:01:33 pm »
Here are a few pix from the gathering this weekend.  We had a GREAT time and I'm already looking forward to when we can do it again...

First Pic - Knoll started things off with a BANG!
Second Pic - JonW Tillering like a true primitive bowyer (aka - using whatever works best!), ...with a belt sander :)
Third Pic - J05H showing off how long of a curl he could make.
Fourth Pic - Patrick working wood.

OneBow

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2015, 01:06:51 pm »
More - OneBow

First Pic - DavidV getting busy with a hatchet - New Kid in the foreground.
Second Pic - ...they looked up for a second.  I think somebody mentioned lunch.
Third Pic - Sleek and my brother Nathan solving the world's issues thru conversation under a shade tree.
Fourth Pic - Knoll looking very serious about his Red Oak repair effort.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2015, 01:13:31 pm »
...and yet a few more.  -OneBow

First Pic - Patrick holding forthe on the finer points of Sinew application with hide glue.  Mike looking on with a slight measure of incredulity.
Second Pic - One of the Ash trees that served as our shade, also did duty as Sleeks personal armory.
Thrid Pic - ...a group Pic we snapped after lunch.  Sadly Patches had already left for home and my nephew RJ had yet to arrive, so they are not pictured...

Offline Patches

« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2015, 02:01:00 pm »
Thanks Eric for hosting this get together!  I had a good time.  The food was EXCELLENT!!! I did not know that there were cookies though.... :-[

It was good getting to see everybody and meet a few new people.

Neal
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2015, 02:15:46 pm »
Thanks a bunch for the pics Eric! I don't think I took one pic all day. I just wasn't really feeling like myself. Thanks so much again for all you did bud! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline sleek

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2015, 06:59:09 pm »
Pat, the story the pic tells about you sinewing that bow looks like your describing how you use bunny rabbit sinew. Stuff off the back legs is best.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2015, 07:01:22 pm »
Not a single crazy pic with the chrono? Slightly ticked or its two cousins? Or Jo5h shooting his 80# bow with an arrow weighing only 320 grains?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2015, 07:08:51 pm »
Looks like a good time was had by all.............but Mike you look like the senior in that group and you need to hold your own.  Did you guys do any shooting?? >:D ;D
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2015, 07:39:39 pm »
Looks like a good time was had by all.............but Mike you look like the senior in that group and you need to hold your own.  Did you guys do any shooting?? >:D ;D
DBar

Mike more than held up his end, and earned a bit of the RESPECT us OLD guys require Bar:)  ...but a new kid that could not get two consecutive arrows into the target somehow lucked-up and hit this tiny little 100 point spot on the target and took the High Score!  Grrrr...

Sleek - I failed to get any pix of all that good stuff.   I was kinda hoping J05H would post that video of you going nutz and some of the Chrony pix.

OneBow

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2015, 12:22:01 am »
Mike you look like the senior in that group and you need to hold your own.  Did you guys do any shooting?? >:D ;D
DBar
Chronologically, I'm definitely the senior. Experience/skillwise, I'm definitely a newbie. I got lucky and shot ok   ;)
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline J05H

« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2015, 09:33:35 am »
Sleek definitely went a little nuts. He's an excitable fellow.  :laugh: :laugh:

Here's a link to the video. I'll go through my phone and see if I have anything else to post, but I think that's all I've got.

http://vid879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/J05H/VID_20150912_104139683.mp4

P.S. I'll pick up my bracer next time I'm in town.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.