Author Topic: creative block  (Read 3266 times)

Offline sleek

creative block
« on: September 04, 2015, 07:56:55 pm »
I have recently chased rings on a few perfect staves and set them in the corner. I need to make some bows but I look at these perfect straight staves and instantly loose motivation. Im looking at a blank canvas that can be absolutely anything and I cant focus on what I want to make.  Now if I look at the crazy bits of wood, challenge accepted.  I see what needs to happen where and how etc. The wood tells me what to make.

Problem is, wonky bows dont sell and I like to sell my bows to support my house and hobbies.  Its easy when I have an order to take and make that because thats given me guidlines to work inside. Same with character wood, but when it comes to the clean stuff, I have no flaw to focus on, no challenge,  and its sooooooo boring I cant get further than chasing a ring.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline GB

Re: creative block
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 08:04:03 pm »
Don't throw those perfect straight staves out, send them to me!
I like boring straight staves.  A little reflex is okay, though.  ;D
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 08:45:18 pm »
well get cuttin then! ;)

Offline JonW

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 08:52:18 pm »
Man we aren't far from each other. Bring some good straight clean staves and I'll trade one for one. I have about 100 or so to pick from  ;)

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 08:53:46 pm »
Oh yeah those perfect staves are sooooooo boring. Just send a couple to me and I'll slog through the boredom for ya!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 09:01:51 pm »
Lol, you guys are actling like im joking. If I had no need for straight clean wood to sell, id take yall up on it.  Johnw, we may see eachother in two weeks. Ill bring my stash, bring some trade foder of your own if you like.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 10:21:55 am »
Here's a movie quote that may help. It's from the movie "Searching for Bobby Fischer", "Don't move until you see it."

I've learned nothing good comes from trying to force inspiration. Be patient and wait until you see it.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 11:09:17 am »
How is this for inspiration? I dare you to build a superbly crafted clean straight bow over 45# at 28", and post a pile of finished pics at the end. I want to see what your cash money bows look like man.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 11:14:19 am »
'll second that dare!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 11:19:20 am »
Im talking tip overlays so smooth in transition you'd swear they grew out of the osage. A handle sculpted so finely any hand would melt into it. A tiller that bends elegantly from tip to fade and perfectly matched top to bottom. You know a real sweety, like I prefer to call them.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 11:46:46 am »
Accepted.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 11:56:30 am »
 8)  How about a build along for the masses.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 12:07:54 pm »
Ummmm sure? Never really done one of those before. Don't know how good I will be at it. I mean, other than posting pics like I always do?

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 12:09:38 pm »
Maybe this weekend I can get Patrick to hold a video camera for me of me using my KaBar to do it.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2015, 02:21:19 pm »
sometimes just starting one can be the inspiration,, :)  trying a different finish(leather dye or fo sturgen) or handle wrap style,, horn nocks etc,, get out of your comfort zone,, keeping it commercially appealing to the masses,, etc etc etc,,, cut one of the staves in two and splice at the handle with a little more back set than your normal ,,,
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 02:38:49 pm by bradsmith2010 »