Author Topic: You guys chasing elk  (Read 5316 times)

Offline Badly Bent

You guys chasing elk
« on: September 06, 2015, 11:19:44 pm »
Elk.  Its sept. and I've been dreaming about elk hunting, but since I live in the midwest where we have no elk or picturesque mountains to roam and search for them all I can do is dream. Hoping some of you guys are gonna post some pics and stories of your elk pursuits this fall, let some of us less fortunate ones have a glimpse of what we're missing out on. Been 7 years since my last trip out west to hunt 'em and that has been to long, dang I wish I were up on a mountain right now.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: You guys chasing elk
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 11:23:11 pm »
I know Elijah, (seminolewind) has been in the mountains around Durango Co. He missed a 5x5 last week.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 11:29:03 pm »
Hope he has some luck there Eddie, lots of elk in that area and beautiful country to hunt in.  I've hunted near Silverton twice in the mid and late 90's, saw a bunch but never got close enough to launch an arrow at one on those trips.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 12:47:01 am »
Dvs is headin' west in a week or 2.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline ptaylor

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 12:07:37 pm »
Yep, went out for a camping hunting trip with my wife. It was more of a relaxing hunt than really pushing it hard. But we were able to get in close enough to hear elk. Although, not see them. The picture should help explain why... Thick and steep country! Hunting Roosevelt elk. I'll be going back next week for a more serious hunt.

Preston

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 01:51:05 pm »
Our opener was Saturday. i have been out every day and get to go today also.

I came within yards of killing a cow on opening day but another cow busted me. I had a bull really worked up and he was like a wild beast bent on destroying the forest. Several dead trees were uprooted and knocked over. Unfortunately he would not come any closer.

I found a watering hole. I don't think its a wallow but it might be. Literally all of the trails within a 1/4 mile of this spot lead to this hole. Unfortunately, between me and another hunter I think we have run the elk out of this particular small piece of public surrounded by private.

Patrick
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 08:52:23 am by kleinpm »

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 08:16:44 pm »
Can't see your picture Preston, get back out there after 'em, wishing you success.

Looks like some beautiful Country your hunting Patrick, thanks for the picks and hopefully some of those elk will move back in for your next go around.

Man I'm envious of you guys. :)

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 08:20:10 pm »
Dave, have a good hunt my friend, I know your a hard hunting go- getter. I hope to see a picture of your hairy face bent over a downed elk. :)

Offline ptaylor

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 10:08:55 pm »
Looks like some pretty country Patrick.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 10:15:20 pm »
Heading to Colorado Friday..two days of driving and two weeks of climbing mountains. Seventh year making the trip. One friend in Denver scored a 4x4 on Saturday morning and another shoulder shot a 5x5 opening morning and they are reporting seeing several good bulls. This weekend starts the dark moon and into the equinox so the daytime movement and rutting may be kicking in...I'll bring back some pictures to share.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 12:24:27 am »
Good luck to all you elk hunters. I wish I was out there.   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 01:15:54 pm »
Tagged out on the 15th of Aug.  Short season. 2 for 3 in our camp on nice cows.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 06:26:15 pm »
Good luck nclonghunter, two weeks on the mountain after elk sounds like heaven.

Congrats on your kill Springbuck, you should be eating well this winter. :)

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 08:04:07 pm »
Went out for opener but there wasn't much activity. Funnily enough, the one elk we heard bugling, we initially thought was a dude with his first bugle tube: the calls were shrill, without any of the good growl or range of notes, they were repetitive, and it was during the dead middle of the day. After putting a lousy stalk (wind was swirly) on a group of three smallish bulls, we came back up to the ridge and heard the shrill, annoying bugle again. I second guessed my boyfriend and said, "Maybe it's not a dude. Someone that dumb would have given up by now." So I busted out my diaphragm call and gave a few nice cow mews. BOOM, big tan body moving across the slope on the other side of the draw. Saw him long enough to see that he was a handsome 6x6, probably 300+, but he was on his own program and didn't seem to care much about our calling as he disappeared into the deep dark bottom, probably to water.

Going out to a different spot this weekend, hopefully they'll be more talkative and walkative! :)
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 07:49:59 am »
Sounds like you two had a good opener Andrea, even if it was a little slow you still got a glimpse of a nice one. Get back after 'em next week and post a few pics for us poor unfortunate midwesterners to view if you could. Wishing you success, and I apologize I should have titled the post 'guys and gals' chasing elk. :)