Author Topic: You guys chasing elk  (Read 5315 times)

Offline kleinpm

Re: You guys chasing elk
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 11:34:19 pm »
Today I walked 3.5 miles to see what was on the other side of a ridge I had been glassing. Normally I wouldn't think twice about the hike but I either broke my foot or have a really bad case of turf toe and walking is rather painful but I refuse to go to the doctor until hunting season is over. I made it through several weeks of Marine Officer Candidate School with a  broken ankle and I figure I can make it through a few months of elk season with a broken foot. The area "normally" has a lot of elk this time of year but not this year. I wanted to see if they were somewhere that I couldn't see with my spotting scope.
Pretty view but no elk. I did stalk a coyote and I think I could have killed him but he was just trying to survive in a very harsh place so I just stood up and started walking toward him when I was about 50 yards away. He was pretty surprised.

I went back to the truck and drove to another area to see if maybe I could find some elk and give me a clue for where to go tomorrow. I saw a 6x6, 5x5,4x4, and 5 or 6 spikes all harassing about 12 cows. Of course these were 1/4 mile on the wrong side of the fence.

Patrick

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 10:52:10 am »
My first trip ever hunting elk, drove 4 miles from home. Cow called while walking away from my jeep. 20-30 minutes later a bulldozer starts walking through the brush towards me. Elk holds up about 50-100 yards away still in the trees and calls back to me. Game of cat and mouse, me trying to fool him to come closer or sneaking up on him when he tries leaving lasts 2 hours and in the end he disappears. Ghost for sure. Happened in a part of Washington where the last elk harvested was decades ago.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2015, 10:31:03 pm »
Tough season this year...drove to Colorado near Yampa. Rained the first five days night and day. My truck through a code and ended up spending way too much time in the dealership. Not as bad as some guys out of Minnesota that blew a turbo on their disel on Rabbit Ear Pass. They had to stay an additional week waiting on parts and no hunting vehicle, so they had to hang out in town. The last couple days of season turned on and bulls started chasing cows. My buddy and I called and worked a bull until he committed to come in. He came straight down the hill walking towards me. At around 40 yards he angled towards my buddy. I had a bad straight on or angling shot which I will not take. I watched the bull in the brush walk towards my buddy and when I thought he was close he stopped and bugled. I cow called and he turned and faced me. I heard the bow and then the arrow hit. The bull ran back towards me and stopped at thirty yards in the brush. He coughed and I saw the red spot growing on his side. He took a couple side steps and collapsed. He was twelve yards from my Buddy when he shot. We butchered and deboned then each carried a blackstrap and front shoulder out. Got the heavy packs and went back for the rest. 3.5 miles from the truck. Last load was back at truck at 07:45 Pm. Kill shot was at 8:30 Am....Long day and an awesome hunt. Bull was a 5x4 but a giant body.
With all the rain and vehicle troubles we still had that one great day/hunt....was worth the trip!
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Weylin

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2015, 03:52:30 pm »
I hunted the Coast Range of Oregon for Roosevelt elk this season. I had a great time, saw lots of wildlife, including six bear, but no elk until the last day. Had a great encounter with a wise old herd bull and his cows. Took a shot but he was ready for me. He jumped the string and disappeared. Here's a little story I typed up about it. I can't wait for next year.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,54247.0.html