Author Topic: Thiking about getting into knapping  (Read 5081 times)

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
Re: Thiking about getting into knapping
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 09:59:16 pm »
What's wrong with Rhyolite?? >:D >:D

Ha NC, Nothing wrong with Rhyolite in my book or quartzite for that matter. These guys noodling their high grade flint..... >:D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 10:24:56 am »
The first rock I knapped was rhyolite, camping on the North Fork of the French Broad River with James Parker and other friends many years ago. I love rhyolite points and blades because of their toughness. I'm sure working it is just as tough.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 07:02:35 pm »
You guys have been too generous. I've gotten some preforms in the mail  from Jon Stewart and 1442(Terry). Thanks guys. These should get me going. I'll send each of you a point when I get some made. I appreciate everyone's generosity.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline iowabow

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 09:12:01 pm »
Pat before you jump the rope ....think ABO brother! >:D
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 01:13:08 pm »
Pat before you jump the rope ....think ABO brother! >:D
I agree. I really like working stone on stone. Antler seems to flake quite nicely as well.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2015, 11:28:15 am »
Pat:  Have you cut yourself with the obsidian yet?  One thing I think we should all respect is that your personal method of knapping is not the only way to get the job done!  Any method that gets a person started is a good method. In a life long journey of knapping there will be a lot of roads to take and we all will meet some fellows with their own developed skills.  When I stated it was before there was any shared knowledge and all I wanted to do was make points I could hunt elk and deer with so it was ABO for sure.  Over the years when I started finding some really precious rocks I drifted away to slabs just to be able to get the maximum  number of same sized points out of each stone and my skills had diminished.  If this post has offended anyone I will be happy to drop off of the PA site so as not to cause discord.  Joe York   
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2015, 12:21:56 pm »
Didn't offend me, Joe. I have three Saws and a set of diamond wheels. I knap any style I feel like, whenever I feel like it and don't let Rock Snobs get me down.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2015, 12:49:30 pm »
Didn't offend me, Joe. I have three Saws and a set of diamond wheels. I knap any style I feel like, whenever I feel like it and don't let Rock Snobs get me down.

Bingo!!