Author Topic: black bears  (Read 3986 times)

Offline ptaylor

black bears
« on: September 08, 2015, 09:32:39 pm »
75 pounds of bear sausage, 3 types: chorizo, herb garlic, and breakfast sausage.

Offline bowandarrow473

Re: black bears
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 09:46:49 pm »
Dang, that's alot of meat.
How's bear taste? I have heard it is delicious but I have no need to kill one.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline ptaylor

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 10:06:19 pm »
The flavor of black bear meat is really good. But because of trichinosis (like pork) you have to cook it well, which toughens it up. Although, I have had some tender backstraps from a bear, but mostly steaks come out tough. So I've made a lot of stews and other kinds of recipes that call for long slow cooking to break down the meat. This time though I decided to grind up the whole bear into sausage.

The bears around me are all eating acorns, pine nuts, hazelnuts, and berries. I've never eaten a bear that is feeding on salmon, so don't know ho that tastes.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 10:07:59 am »
Bear is fine eating.. Makes good sausage and burgers.. I've made ham outta one of the hinds
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 03:21:01 pm »

I have a nice sized one hanging around my house, that might be hibernating in a freezer this year, if he is still hanging around the 15th of this month!  Maybe sooner, if my neighbor with the archery bear tag, comes over.  I have had bear meat once, and it was very good.  Had some fried, and some broiled.  The fried was the better of the two.  To me it tasted like a cross between, beef, and venison.  I understand, that the flavor depends on what the bear has been eating.  It it has been feeding on something that has been dead a few days, you might, as well just take the hide, and skull, and leave the meat.

Wayne