Author Topic: Tiller check  (Read 3344 times)

Offline DC

Tiller check
« on: September 09, 2015, 03:31:24 pm »
Could I get a tiller check please? It looks to me like it's hinging at the right fade but there is a hump there on the unbraced picture that is throwing me off. This is my first Saskatoon(Serviceberry). It's spliced. It's pulling 40# in the drawn picture, 20" I think. That was 10 minutes ago and I've forgotten already. Don't get old guys. Ignore the writing on the board.

Offline DC

Re: Tiller check
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 03:32:56 pm »
If there is no hinge then it looks like a few more scrapes on the left limb?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 03:43:34 pm »
Stiff in the middle on the right and a slight weak spot 10" from tip on the left. Best make that go away before it grows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 03:57:34 pm »
That kink in the left limb has been bugging me for days. It's been marked don't touch since first brace. I thought I had that fixed but I can see it now. I think I was just getting used to it.
Stiff in the middle on the right. I wouldn't have thought that. I guess that lump is scaring me away from that limb.
So both limbs need work in the middle? Left to correct the weak spot and right because its a little stiff?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 04:56:33 pm »
the part you think is a hinge,, what is the wood thickness like there??? the right limb looks a tiny stiff,, but I see the reflex in the unbraced photo,, so dont think you are much off,, I see the weak spot Pearl mentions,, again ,, what is the thickness there compared to the rest of the wood,,,can you tell from the grain if it is thinner or thicker,, I think over all it is looking very nice :)

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 05:04:49 pm »
I ran over it with a gizmo and it was just like PD said. The part I thought was hinged is bent enough so the gizmo doesn't hit it but the wood is thick there so I think it's a natural bend. It was thin on the left tip and stiff in the right. I'm sneakin' up on it.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 05:45:04 pm »
Next set. This just doesn't look right to me. It looks like the right limb is bending way too much. The gizmo says they're the same. I want to scrape a bunch on the left fade.

Offline bow101

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 06:31:39 pm »
Looks like she is hinging on the right and stacking... I'll draw you a picture or send a photo on how I have been doing the tiller lately it works very well its quick simple and very effective.  My second to the last bow I was 1/8" positive tiller dead on.   :)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 06:51:18 pm »
bow seems a lttle crooked on the tree,,, makes it hard to see the bend for me,, :)

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 07:03:35 pm »
It's in the same spot as the braced picture. The angle, at least to me, means that the left limb should be bending more. But what do I know, that's why I posted these pictures. I used Del's trick and held a CD up to the screen and the bends are fairly even. The top limb is longer, I did the one inch above center, three below for the handle. I think that if the left fade bent a bit more it would look better but whether it would actually "be" better is what I'm not sure of.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 07:07:55 pm by DC »

Offline son of massey

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 07:16:43 pm »
I agree, the throat of the handle looks like it is slanting in the drawn photo whereas in the prior two it looks level, which does look like it is tilting on the tree. Even looking at the photo with a cocked head though it looks like the right limb is bending more, but with the plumb tiller tree it is tough on the eyes.
SOM

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 07:23:47 pm »
i think there is more handle sticking out on the left,, in the drawn photo,,but sometimes photos are deceiving  :) :)

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 07:25:46 pm »
The bow is free to rock on the tree so when it tilts more of the top shows. You'll notice the tips are even. :D

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 07:36:23 pm »
 Wait a minute. You guys are right. Because it's symmetrical I had to put it in the middle of the handle to get it to balance to take the picture. Then I moved it to the center to pull it for the drawn picture. I usually center the bow on the tree but this time I thought I would try putting on the tree closer to how I hold it. A lot of people on here say that's the way to go.

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 07:43:37 pm »
Here is a picture with it centered on the handle. It doesn't look much different. The handle was pretty level before I pulled it.