Author Topic: Straight Razor  (Read 3308 times)

Offline kevinnator11

• Just a new guy learning all of the tips and tricks
Straight Razor
« on: September 09, 2015, 07:15:28 pm »
Finished this recently.  It was fun doing something a bit different from the norm.  S30 steel and I used a steer horn to make the handle.  If you'd like I can post pics of some of the WIP.  First time messing with the horn and boy does it stink.

Originally it was accurate but the customer wanted me to put a stop in so that it didn't spin through the handle all the way and put it into a sheath so that he could carry it.  As long as the customer is happy.....!
Kevin

Offline dylanholderman

Re: Straight Razor
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 09:52:50 pm »
good looking razor!
i would love some WIP pics, a razor is on my eventual too do list ;D
 forged or stock removal?  ???

Online mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 09:56:49 pm »
I'd like to see it, too. You have talent, Sir!
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 10:07:31 pm »
That's mighty nice looking work.  You done yourself proud, but I got one question?  Didja shave with it?

For giggles, I used to shave with a straight razor on Sunday mornings at Rendezvous.  Three or four days without shaving and I had good stubble with oily skin, which makes shaving much easier.  I'd make a big production out of it and pretty soon I would have a crowd around and I would start taking bets as to whether I'd bleed before I was done.  Best weekend I made $200 for making my pretty face even prettier!

Best off all, baby smooth for at least 36 hours!

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 12:35:51 am »
     That is a project that I have been putting off for some time.  I have several old German, and American straight razors with no handles, or poor condition handles.  Have been thinking of doing bone handles, or antler, but also have some cow horns, and a Buffalo horn Mullet gave me.  Nice work.  where did you put the stop?  Or did you leave the section where it is pivoted, solid with just a groove for the tang to fit in, but not able to go through?  Really nice looking.  Yeah, J.W.  I tried a couple of times to shave with one, but wasn't able to do the lip areas, too well.  So went back to the safety razors.  That is a nice razor for sure, I am sure the customer will be happy with that one.
                                  Wayne
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 03:02:42 am by stickbender »

Offline kevinnator11

• Just a new guy learning all of the tips and tricks
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 01:32:01 pm »
Stock removal.  If I recall correctly this was around 63 Rc.

It was finished prior to the customer wanting the stop.  I epoxied in a block of wood just behind the pivot to stop the blade.  I did have some issues with that stop popping out when I was wet forming the sheath.  The second time I put divots in the block of wood I used for the stop and roughed up the inside of the horn more.  Hopefully that will hold it.  I didn't want to put another pin.  I thought that would affect the look a lot more.  If I knew he would prefer it that way I would've put the stop at the butt so the tip of the blade would've connected there to stop.  To my thinking it just has to be somewhere it isn't touching the blade. 

I didn't try to shave with it but I did want to try.  (Worked great on the forearm)  I made another blade to make myself one.  I won't make a stop for mine.  I think it's better without it.  I followed the youtube video with Lewis Razors but I went with horn and silver pins and wedge.  The following are some of the WIP pics.

Once at this point I put in the wedge made of silver.  That is where I should have planned a stop of some type.

I used a die grinder to cut the horn.  Next time I'll use a handsaw.  The grinder burns its way through.  After I was cut though the bench sander wasn't an issue.  Just be sure to wear a respirator.  After this it's just drilling and peening the pins.  I sanded progressively to 1000 grit then buffed it out.  Green polish will get into the natural grooves of the horn though and be a pain to get out.  Switched to white and polished until the green was removed and that's pretty much it.  It was easy really once I had the wedge done.  I used the length of solid material to determine the overall length of the razor.  Hope that shows in the pic of the horn with the outline.  Unfortunately no pics of the wedge. 

If you guys have any other questions just let me know.  I'll answer the best I can.  Oh and if you're using 1 1/2 stock you can get two from a six inch piece.

Thanks for looking.

Kevin

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 03:06:08 am »

Cool! 8)  Thanks for sharing. ;)

Wayne

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 06:43:48 pm »
thanks for the WIP  pics they look great :)

Offline Scottski

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 11:17:57 am »
That is one kool razor!
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 10:05:54 am »
That is some mighty fine work, thanks for the build along. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good