Author Topic: Warbow Arrows  (Read 4858 times)

Offline WillS

Warbow Arrows
« on: September 10, 2015, 04:55:19 pm »
Apologies to anybody who's already seen these on FB but a conversation with Pat made me think some other people might want to see these - more for the wood type than anything.

These are EWBS Standard arrows (trailing cut fletchings) as designed by Hugh Soar, and EWBS Livery arrows which are replicas of those found on the Mary Rose.

For ages, I've never been able to find true poplar arrow shafts - populus tremula or "aspen" to be specific.  Most archery suppliers in the UK sell arrow shafts called "poplar" which is actually tulipwood.  While almost identical to real poplar and superb for arrows, the weight is slightly higher than aspen which means in half inch shaft diameter the weight is simply too high for the specified 52g Standard arrow.  It also means that to match the weight of Mary Rose arrows, the shafts must be bobtailed right from the head to reduce weight.  Using real aspen, the shafts can be left full diameter (1/2") until well over halfway towards the nock before tapering.  This is a much closer representation of the originals.

The Livery arrows are around 50g without a head (they will be armed with 10g Tudor bodkins) and the Standard arrows are on average 44g.  All will be 32" long.

So anyway, these are aspen arrows, fletched with goose and whipped with pure silk.  The Livery arrow fletchings are 7.5" long and 5/8" high, while the Standard arrows have 6" x 3/4" fletchings.  The nock inserts are 1mm local cow horn.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 06:09:21 pm by WillS »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Warbow Arrows
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 05:10:39 pm »
V nice... but should be under Arrows? ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline WillS

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 05:46:40 pm »
I thought it was.  Oops!

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 08:29:22 am »
Where do you get your horn from? Please don't say cows...

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 08:33:16 am »
Great looking arrows!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline WillS

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 08:36:18 am »
Cows :)

Highland Horn used to do the pressed sheets but don't any more.  I've not looked for any in ages as I bought boxes of the stuff in 1mm sheets about 2 years ago.

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 08:56:02 am »
You said it was local horn so I assumed you have contacts - as you say Highland Horn don't seem to do it any more.

Offline WillS

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 09:38:23 am »
It might be worth giving him a ring.  He's a lovely bloke, and likes being able to help.  He's still selling the tips, so perhaps he just doesn't get enough orders for the sheets?

Offline WillS

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 09:39:58 am »
"Local" was for the benefit of the 'Mericans ;)

Scotland is local to England in the grand scheme of things.  More importantly its not water buffalo from overseas!

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 10:15:33 am »
"Local" was for the benefit of the 'Mericans ;)

Scotland is local to England in the grand scheme of things.  More importantly its not water buffalo from overseas!

I keep forgetting this is an American site  ::) I'll give him a ring when I've got some arrow blanks.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 10:58:10 am »
Very well built arrows