Author Topic: Turtle back- more like pyramid!  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Tracker0721

Turtle back- more like pyramid!
« on: September 11, 2015, 10:14:53 pm »
So I'm busting out points trying to get 6 exact matching obsidian points that also have the best colors/ patterns for a trade with lebhuntfish and I chipped a big rock and sure enough it has amazingly deep red and pitch black, but won't flake. Dunno if it's frozen(40 degrees when I went out to knap this morning) or if it was thrown against a sidewalk of what, but it won't flake. Finally I get ticked and really bash it. Boom. Broke in a bunch of pieces.  :'( To include a chunk that's 4"x4" square. On all 4 sides. Perfect. Pyramid.  >:( so I switch boppers and attack these thing. Talking steep angle hits, lots of muscle. Tons of cuts. Perfect strategy though  8) . Chipped to reduce flat side, steep over powered shots back up the Great Pyramid, best knapping ever. Ended with a 3"x2" and about 1/4" deep preform. But it had a cup in it  :-\ Few more bops with the baby copper and presto! Most of the cup is gone, ready for pressure!

Now I can't make this up- first chip, over shot point splits down the middle.

If there were words to express my grief. But just like when your ice cream falls off the cone, I took the bigger half and made a 7/8" wide by 1" long barely legal point. Patrick, you'll get this point, and you'll love it. Forever. Even if it sits on a wall watching the other 6 points go kill deer all season.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline YosemiteBen

Re: Turtle back- more like pyramid!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 11:14:46 am »
if there aint no pics then it didn't happen..... ;D

Stringman

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 11:36:26 am »
if there aint no pics then it didn't happen..... ;D

He's right ya know...  >:D

Still, it's a good story!

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 03:55:19 pm »
Pictures would be awesome Dylan!
I can't wait to get those points! I'm getting a little deer fever thinking about it!
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!