Author Topic: Training for "pick a spot" instinctive shooting (half eye method)  (Read 2316 times)

Offline half eye

Training for "pick a spot" instinctive shooting (half eye method)
« on: September 13, 2015, 06:23:22 pm »
Hey fellas,
     With huntin season upon us I thought I would show you how I make targets to train myself to "pic a spot". First off shooting in your yard, range etc. aint the same...it just is not. Secondly, shooting at ANY target with an aiming point is counter productive and will screw you up big time. Thirdly, even "animal targets will usually have a defined "kill zone" either color, or depth line etc. That is just as counter productive as the colored aiming point...just a little bigger.
     So here is a cheap way to make "deer" to shoot at, and make you "pick a spot".

I took a cardboard deer target for $6.99 and used it for sighting in my loads for the short range stopper I posted a while back. When it served that purpose, I cut the deer out of it in one piece. Then turned it over so as to not paint the original side.

Lay it on cut apart cardboard boxes, or pallet liner board etc etc then spray paint around the pattern so to leave a brown silhouette of a deer. You can use the target like that or do a little detail addition with a black magic marker.

By doin this you can force yourself to quit looking at the eyes or whole deer or silhouette and shaving his hair. It is harder than it looks to get consistent groups and as the arrows start to give you that aiming point you dont want to rely upon just tape some thin cardboard over the holes.

Anyways this is how I do it and it works for me so see if can help you....if not ya aint out anything.

That one 6.99 target will make you enough silhouettes to supply the whole club for the cost of free scrap board and the occasional can of spray paint.

Here is the pic so if the process is not clear please let me know.
rich

Offline bowandarrow473

Re: Training for "pick a spot" instinctive shooting (half eye method)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 07:34:03 pm »
Cool, may have to try something like that sometime.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 08:42:09 pm »
Thanks. That is an excellent target.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 10:00:48 pm »
  Good idea Rich, The bulls eye is getting boring...Deer don't have bulls eyes and I really never can concentrate on a single hair I here folks talk about. Hell I can't see one 3 yds. away anyway...Great idea shooting at a silhouette to condition my minds eye...
                                                                                                                                  Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 04:44:05 am »
Good idea , thanks for sharing. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 09:33:03 am »
Thanks Don & Pappy....it's cheap targets and will help when the time comes. You can use them to make a point as well.... put a small white "dot" like a price tag or such on a target and have a guy shoot at it a while......then take one of the regular ones and watch what happens to the group size...it really is eye opening.
rich

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 02:02:57 pm »
Great idea tightwad, I like tightwad ideas like that because I am one myself. I cant keep an affordable 3d target around for more than a year and its totally shot up and shot through.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.