Author Topic: Africa hunt 2015  (Read 25949 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Africa hunt 2015
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2015, 02:55:09 pm »
I was talking the 2 dead critters Arvy, it'll never work. Too light! hahahahaha! And people still argue about 40# being enough to kill a wimpy whitetail.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2015, 08:14:20 am »
Awesome Arvin!!! :)

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2015, 07:50:09 pm »
Way too cool. When will all the tuff guys realize that bows in the 40# range are viable weapons. Congrats sir😃
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Blood Trail

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 09:22:23 pm »
Arvin, I had no idea that you went to Africa to hunt! Awesome job, brother! I gotta pick ur brain about it when I come to your knap in!

Offline Adam

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2015, 11:03:24 pm »
That is so awesome!  I'd love to experience Africa someday.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2015, 09:51:47 pm »
Man, I enjoyed this post.  What an adventure!  Congratulations.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Parnell

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2015, 11:50:40 am »
Wow, I thought I'd read that white rhinos are all but gone.  The last one/ones are under 24 hour surveillance...
What an exciting trip.  VERY interesting.
1’—>1’

Offline AttieBotes

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2015, 04:36:42 am »
I live in South Africa and I must say that it is one of the most awesome places to live and hunt. I am one of only a handful of traditional archers in the country and one of very few that actually hunt with a traditional bow.

The traditional bow is better suited to our bushveld areas where there is dense vegetation and walk-and-stalk and ambush is the preferred hunting methods. Our plains game are nearly impossible to hunt with a traditional bow. I also hunt with a rifle and shots on Springbuck in the Karoo of 400m to 600m are not uncommon.

There are still plenty Rhinos but poaching has severely put their numbers under pressure. Private game farm owners also don't want to keep them on anymore as they are high risk.

We have an abundance of species to hunt and with the Rand/$ now is the time to do it! For around $35 you can shoot a Springbuck, $64 a Blesbuck, $250 a Koedoe bull and the same for an Eland cow. A Blackwildebeest (white tailed ngu) would go around $140 and a Bluewildebeest about $200. These are the prices I paid this year. Accommodation, guides and meals for a 4day long weekend are about $300...

The best place to hunt bushveld species are the Limpopo province, although the mountain areas of the Freestate will provide you with more or less the same opportunities and costs you a whole lot less.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2015, 10:41:35 pm »
Very cool.  Thanks for sharing. 
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2015, 02:55:07 pm »
I live in South Africa and I must say that it is one of the most awesome places to live and hunt. I am one of only a handful of traditional archers in the country and one of very few that actually hunt with a traditional bow.

The traditional bow is better suited to our bushveld areas where there is dense vegetation and walk-and-stalk and ambush is the preferred hunting methods. Our plains game are nearly impossible to hunt with a traditional bow. I also hunt with a rifle and shots on Springbuck in the Karoo of 400m to 600m are not uncommon.

There are still plenty Rhinos but poaching has severely put their numbers under pressure. Private game farm owners also don't want to keep them on anymore as they are high risk.

We have an abundance of species to hunt and with the Rand/$ now is the time to do it! For around $35 you can shoot a Springbuck, $64 a Blesbuck, $250 a Koedoe bull and the same for an Eland cow. A Blackwildebeest (white tailed ngu) would go around $140 and a Bluewildebeest about $200. These are the prices I paid this year. Accommodation, guides and meals for a 4day long weekend are about $300...

The best place to hunt bushveld species are the Limpopo province, although the mountain areas of the Freestate will provide you with more or less the same opportunities and costs you a whole lot less.

Buy a donkey, AttieBotes. (and sorry for the Americanized phonetic spelling, it is the best I can do)

My dream hunt is gemsbok by a waterhole.  I don't think there is a prettier animal out there and from what I hear, mighty wonderful when brought to the table as well.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2015, 09:24:15 am »
Thanks for posting your hunt.  The Nayala is one of my favorite African plains game animals.  I have been to South Africa twice and Namibia twice.  Never shot an animal with my bow which is the biggest regret I have about those trips.  I do know for sure that the animals there are very much tougher than ours.  We did a lot of spot and stock as well as setting in blinds.  The sounds you hear become possibly your favorite memories of the trips.  There is one bird sound that keeps repeating you can never forget.  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Adam

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2015, 10:32:21 am »
Wolf Watcher, that's interesting you mention sounds.  I've recently been reading any Capstick book I can get my hands on and in one, he recommended taking a tape recorder to capture the sounds of Africa to listen to back home  If I ever make it there, I know one if the first things I'm packing.

Offline AttieBotes

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2015, 03:40:58 am »

Buy a donkey, AttieBotes. (and sorry for the Americanized phonetic spelling, it is the best I can do)

My dream hunt is gemsbok by a waterhole.  I don't think there is a prettier animal out there and from what I hear, mighty wonderful when brought to the table as well.

Plesier! (Pleasure). Thanks for making the effort! Haha! I have a friend from America that teaches here in SA and he found some Osage growing right under our noses, so on Saturday we will be cutting some wood...