Author Topic: One More Gathering Before the Hunting Season...  (Read 6882 times)

Offline Onebowonder

One More Gathering Before the Hunting Season...
« on: September 16, 2015, 11:00:58 am »
We're going to try to get in one more gathering under the Ash Trees in my yard September 26th and the morning of the 27th.  There were several guys that had wanted to attend this last time that the date just didn't work out for, so hopefully, this date can work better for them.

I know hunting season and the cooler weather is upon us, so we may not have another opportunity till we change venue to an indoor circumstance.  Hopefully the weather will continue to be as good as we've had so far.  The long range forecast is good right now, ...but no one should count on that too much just yet.

I'll plan to supply the meat from the Barrel Smoker again, so please let me know if you can attend.  Bring something you enjoy to drink and whatever you would like to add to the buffet table to share.

We'll have power tools setup to share (Bandsaws, joiner, tablesaw, various sanders), a couple tillering trees, and various cauls.  There are a few benches here already, but feel free to bring yours as we often seem to have more butts than benches. :) I have a small practice range where we can test out and chronograph the bows we work on as well.

If you have a project you need some help with, there are generally a few guys there with some measure of experience and usually an even larger measure of opinions.  There will be new guys there just getting started that'd appreciate your input as well as older guys there that will tolerate your insite, well reasoned or otherwise.

BTW - Yes I know the bow season in Missouri will already be open, but if you can spare the time from your tree stand or ground blind, come have some fun with us. :)

OneBow

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: One More Gathering Before the Hunting Season...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 12:25:39 pm »
You have an understanding group of neighbors.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 01:15:56 pm »
Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I'll be there!
Everyone knows that October is the time to be in the stand! September is just too hot! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Patches

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 01:53:57 pm »
Dagnabbit!  I am not going to be able to make this one. 

Everybody have fun!  Take plenty of pictures too.

Neal
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 07:17:38 pm »
Sorry you can't make it Neil. I'll try to remember that my phone has a camera function this time! Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline JonW

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 08:14:01 pm »
If Mike brings more fireworks I'll be there for sure! :D Count me in regardless.

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 09:12:34 pm »
I plan to be elbow deep in an engine and tranny swap in my truck. You boys have fun and somebody bring safety goggles and a hard hat for knoll.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 09:48:03 pm »
I'll be doing a living history encampment in Lecompton, Ks. for the local schools . It's the 12th year that we've done this. I will be demonstrating archery and bow making so it's sort of the same thing...
Have fun guys.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 10:41:04 pm »
I will try to showcase a possible arrow shaft maker this weekend! If this works like it's supposed to I will be an arrow shaft making fool! Patrick

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 12:44:50 am »
I'll be there. But will definitely be late. Must function as airport limo driver first.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline J05H

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 04:39:40 am »
At this point, I'm leaning towards heading up there, but I'm not sure yet. I won't know for sure If I can make it until probably Thursday or Friday.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 06:57:38 pm »
I'll probably be there, maybe not all day though.
Springfield, MO

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 07:09:03 pm »
Excellent David!  Glad to hear it.

I just found out that we are likely going to have a couple of NEWBEE's there as well working on their first bows ever, ...so that'll be fun!

Our weather is looking like it'll be a perfect day for being outside, so that's good!  It's hard to believe that we've yet to get rained out in the Ozarks, but so far we are batting a thousand!  :)

OneBow

Offline JonW

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 09:18:58 pm »
I think Mr Hill should do a demo of what can happen to a bow >:D

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 07:05:05 pm »
Looking forward to seeing you guys in the morning.  We'll get started around 8 AM and I'll have coffee for those that partake of the brewed nectar of the roasted bean!

Last night I made up some homemade BBQ sauce to use with LUNCH.  It turned out really good...   8) 8) 8)

OneBow