Author Topic: Black Walnut Dye  (Read 13885 times)

Offline Ranasp

Black Walnut Dye
« on: September 16, 2015, 11:55:30 am »
I live by a park that has lots of Black Walnut trees (I have one in my yard too, but this year it's being stingy with the walnuts)  so I put on some rubber gloves, grabbed a plastic bag and gathered up some walnuts.  There's a serious Black Walnut Fly problem here so any nuts that have fallen to the ground are rotten within a day from fly grubs so I tried finding ones that were freshly landed or just grabbed them off low branches.  I dehusked them into an enamelware pot with some water in it, brought it up to a boil, and let it simmer for over an  hour.  Then I poured it into a cotton cloth to catch all the husk bits, wringing it out to get the most dye and put it into glass bottles.  Grabbed a small piece of leather that I tooled and wiped several coats of the dye onto it, turned out pretty nice.  The original leather color is below the bird.  I like how the tooling captured more of the dye so the marks stand out.

Next time I'll try dehusking into a bag that I'll let sit in a bucket of water for a few days and try cooking that.  I'll also try reducing some of the existing dye and maybe adding lampblack to it to see if I can get a nice ink.

Offline Spotted Dog

Re: Black Walnut Dye
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 01:21:47 pm »
The green hulls give you that green gold color. If you want a deep brown they have to be nasty black.
Boil and let cool for leather.
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 01:45:27 pm »
Ah good, so putting them in a bucket a few days will do what I thought (make darker dye).  These things rot FAST.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 03:34:08 pm »
Yeah, us the older, black husks. If possible, leave the piece to be dyed in the soup for quite a while at as high a temp as it can stand.
Don't shoot!

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 04:40:06 pm »
Fortunately I don't mind having a variety of shades, maybe I'll make a piece that uses only walnut dye but made in different ways. 

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 08:37:23 pm »
Thats cool. 8)
To get the nuts we would drive over the
walnuts. They bring good money themselves.
The later nuts were best. :P
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 04:50:20 am »
I've always used the Black nasty ones for making the dye for treating traps. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 09:21:00 am »
If you keep the dye for a while it will mold, I add 50% denatured alcohol to the mix, never have mold and have some walnut stain in my shop that I made at least 10 years ago that still works just fine.

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 01:35:27 pm »
Eric's right. In a sealed milk bottle works great or freeze it.
Green gives gold, nasty black gives drak brown to black. Dried give a lighter brown.
All depends on how much hulls you use. If you cook it in a cast iron pot it gets darker.
You can't ever use the pot to cook in again though.
It will dye wood, leather, and all natural fibers. Cotton, wool, linen, etc.
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 06:07:10 pm »
I found this site which mentions scouring for fabric to get a better color http://www.practicalprimitive.com/skillofthemonth/blackwalnutdye.html#stainedhands  Also has other great articles regarding primitive skills.

riverrat

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 09:08:49 pm »
its easier to cut up the green husks, especialy if they just fell or you plucked them from the tree. dont use water, put the cut up green husks in a old bowl and slowly smash them, then transfer to a blender. add just a tad of vinegar. you want a fine mush. rub that on the leather while you are wearing 2 pairs of rubber gloves. rub it on wood, rub it on whatever you want but do not get it on you unless you want to turn very very dark.Tony

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 09:47:21 pm »
I imagine that blender wouldn't be any good for whiskey sours after that.  ;)

riverrat

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 12:38:11 am »
use a glass mason jar in place of your blender pitcher.Tony

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 09:05:52 am »
I do the same as Eric, I usually on use the black nasty ones and cook them down, strain and cook down some more,I keep doing that until I get the color I want and it is clean, makes some really nice stain and by adding the alcohol it will last forever I suppose. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 12:30:48 pm »
I wonder what would happen if you dyed a bow with this and then fumed it with ammonia? With all that tannin it would get very dark, I think.