Author Topic: Any idea what this is?  (Read 5093 times)

Offline Ippus

Any idea what this is?
« on: September 16, 2015, 02:06:25 pm »
So, I still haven't got my hands on full-length wood yet that I can work with for an adult-sized bow, but when I went to pick up some apple wood for a friend of mine's smoker last weekend, there was some other stuff that we picked up as firewood. There were a couple of pieces that looked pretty straight and solid, so I decided to get in a little practice splitting and tillering. They're a little short, but if I'm not too ham-handed, I figured I might manage a bow for my six-year-old. I haven't had a chance to take the bark off yet, but I covered the ends in wood glue.

What I'm wondering is whether any of you have an idea what the wood is. To look at, I was thinking maybe black locust.
There's a lot of sapwood and thin, dark bark; and when I had freshly split it (it's very wet still) it had a sort of greenish, weedy, musty scent - elm has that odor thing going on, right?

What do you think?

"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Any idea what this is?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 02:10:11 pm »
Hard to tell from just these pics. Give it a try and see how it performs, but test it good before making a bow for your daughter.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TimBo

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 02:13:57 pm »
It looks like it could be elm from here; it does not look like black locust.  Definitely test it before making a bow!

Offline Ippus

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 02:19:16 pm »
Definitely test it before making a bow!
Give it a try and see how it performs, but test it good before making a bow for your daughter.

I hear that! The last thing I want it to be digging shards of wood out of my little girl's face. Any recommendations on specific tests to put it through (other than shooting it in thoroughly)?
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 02:47:41 pm »
Hard to tell, but I have some black locust sapling splits that look like that

Offline TimBo

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 02:49:12 pm »
If I am curious about a particular stave or wood type, I usually make a rough mini bow (like a foot long) and try to figure out how easily it wants to take set and/or break.  I never get around to stringing it, more like floor tillering (table tillering?).  If you are a thorough type, there is a Standard Bending Test in TBB vol. 1 (the Performance chapter I think).

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 03:57:02 pm »
For safety sake I'd suggest backing it with silk, linen or raw hide. You can get neck ties from thrift stores for a dollar or so and some have pretty cool patterns on them, maybe even something your daughter would like.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 04:09:38 pm »
That looks a lot like post oak by the bark. I would raw hide it.
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 04:25:40 pm »
Definitely not locust, so I'm lost ;D
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 06:36:03 pm »
looks a bit like black walnut? maybe  ??? hard to tell.

riverrat

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 07:23:07 pm »
looks like elm to me.what your thinkin is sapwood could be the cambium layer.or like was also mentioned, could be hickory.
 Tony

Offline Ippus

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 08:24:05 pm »
Well, I lived next door to a black walnut, and this seems way too light for that, but I guess the bark might be about the right pattern for elm if the limb continued to grow.

Interesting... I hadn't really been thinking of backing at this point, since I kinda don't know what I'm doing yet; are you suggesting a backing more for safety's sake, so that if it does fail, the failure is contained by the backing?
If I am curious about a particular stave or wood type, I usually make a rough mini bow (like a foot long) and try to figure out how easily it wants to take set and/or break.  I never get around to stringing it, more like floor tillering (table tillering?).  If you are a thorough type, there is a Standard Bending Test in TBB vol. 1 (the Performance chapter I think).
Thanks, TimBo, I believe I recall the chapter/test you're talking about. You basically suspend a given length/thickness off the edge of a surface and add weight until it fails, right?

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 08:26:19 pm »
If it has little partitions in the pith area than likely black walnut.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 08:29:35 pm »
The bark looks a bit like White Ash.  A close up of the wood and bark might help identify the wood
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 09:34:41 pm »
The wood looks a lot like english walnut, but the bark looks like elm, ash, or maple. E walnut bark is that color but not as textured.

For future reference, Black locust glows under UV light. So does osage, sumac, and a few others.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna