Author Topic: Any idea what this is?  (Read 5092 times)

Offline LittleBen

Re: Any idea what this is?
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2015, 09:03:19 pm »
Sorry I pretty sure the 198% is wrong, including me, don't think it's Hickory now, looks like some kind of maple maybe. :-\ Pappy

Pappy I think you're dead on. That's why I asked for edge grain because I suspected it was a diffuse porous wood from he end grain shot.

Only maple (and maybe sycamore) looks like that in edge grain.

Offline Ippus

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2015, 03:00:17 pm »
Couple more shots in bright light, in case it makes a difference, since I peeled off the outer and inner bark.

"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2015, 03:09:29 pm »
I'm thinking a maple also, now.   In the last pic it looks powdery on the back. If that is the case it means fungi has infected it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ippus

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2015, 04:52:16 pm »
On more, and then I'll stop cluttering the board with pics, for now. After I finished peeling all of the pieces, I noticed an interesting rippled pattern on the back.

Sorry about the lighting. I'm afraid it made the picture a little... grainy. :laugh:
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline Ippus

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2015, 04:53:58 pm »
In the last pic it looks powdery on the back. If that is the case it means fungi has infected it.

I did use some 240 grit sandpaper to get the last little bits of inner bark off, so that may just be sandpaper dust.