Author Topic: To Cant or not to Cant  (Read 1304 times)

Offline bow101

To Cant or not to Cant
« on: September 16, 2015, 03:17:15 pm »
I like to cant the bow when I shoot. The arrow just seems to sit better on the shelf or arrow pass.  Then again do I cant the bow exactly the same every time..?  Answer is  NO.!!!   >:D
 What is your guys take on this.?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Stoker

Re: To Cant or not to Cant
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 03:30:05 pm »
Cant tell you what to do  >:D Couldn't help my self..  Yes to cant if it feels better than do it.. Most people cant their bows.. I find that in alot of 3D and hunting situations you have to adjust your cant of the bow to make the shot.. Practice all different styles and positions... As for trying to do it the same every time.. Practice and muscle memory will happen... My mentor told me once '' Nobody's form is perfect.. Just make the same mistake every time ''
Thanks leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 03:50:02 pm »
There is no reason to hold a bow vertical unless it has sight  (spits on floor) attached.
Anyhow could you judge the consistency of the vertical any better than the cant?
If the arrow is well matched to the bow it won't make any difference, and if the arrow isn't well matched canting can actually help.
It can also help if hold the bow horizontal if you are trying to thread an arrow between two trees on a field shoot as the flexing of the arrow is now in a vertical plane rather than a horizontal one.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 04:13:37 pm »
I have always canted my bow and depending on the situation sometimes it is almost horizontal and I never noticed any difference. Like said above get your muscle memory well established, get your concentration well established and when the time comes, just let it happen. All you need to do is concentrate on where the arrow WILL go and let your brain do the rest.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 09:30:55 pm »
I do the same, canting feels natural so thats what I do.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 09:32:47 am »
If the arrow is laying right on top of you hand, I don't mean you have to shoot off your knuckle but the arrow pass or shelf is right on your hand it makes no difference, if your arrow is elevated a bit it does matter, I set all mine up where the fletching touches my hand when I shoot. Hold your pointer finger out and point at something ,then rotate your hand, you are still pointing at the same thing. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 11:02:40 am »
Assuming you have correctly spinned arrows. If not, canting really helps.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bow101

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 11:19:49 pm »
That sums it up for me guys.   Thanks
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell