Author Topic: Bees came thru....finally  (Read 4938 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Bees came thru....finally
« on: September 16, 2015, 11:18:35 pm »
We had all six of our hives survive the winter in great shape.  Each hive had a great deal of extra honey left over after eating all they needed to keep warm and healthy thru the winter.  Russian strain bees are certainly tough bugs! But then we got socked in for virtually all of June...poor ladies could not catch a break in the weather to get out and get harvesting sweet clover.  And what few times they could get out between the rains, the clover was washed clean of pollen and nectar so the bees were struggling to find enough to even feed themselves. 

By early July, we had hives swarming and we managed to capture 6 of the swarms, but in the end only 4 ended up being viable and able to establish as a successful hive.  One we sold to another beekeeper and we estimated it to be a multiple queen "super swarm" since it appeared to be over 12 lbs of bees in the cluster.  That hive has already produced 45 lbs of honey this summer for that beekeeper.

But anyway, back to our girls.  We now have 10 healthy hives but have been able to harvest only 40 frames of honey between all of them.  First photo is not the worlds largest Pop-Tart, but is a frame of capped honey ready for harvest.  Each cell is filled with perfect liquid gold at exactly 17% moisture and capped with a thin layer of virgin bees wax.

The first sweet flow of honey from the extractor yesterday!

Straining out the wax cappings from the sweet goodness:

We ended up with about 12 gallons total for the day's harvest.  Sounds like a huge amount, but it gets split between four partners.  My share then gets broken down into smaller jars and I have quite a Christmas list of family and friends.  You would be surprised how fast that 3 gallons disappears!

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Bees came thru....finally
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 11:24:20 pm »
This beekeeping hobby has costs me almost $2,000 already and I have not sold a pound of honey to recoup costs.  Following the modern agri-business model, that means I need to get more hives!!!*

*Sven and Ole up in Nort' Dakota talking after driving a truckload of wheat to the elevator and getting paid figure they lost money on the crop, what with the cost of seed, diesel fuel, spraying for weeds, cultivating, and hiring custom harvesters to bring in the grain.  Ole says, "You know vat dat means, right Sven?"  And Sven answers, "Yah! Ve gotta get a bigger truck!"

riverrat

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 11:27:06 pm »
thats awesome. ive never kept bees. but they are so valuable if you like to garden. i have some raised beds. ones next to my garage door. the problem is that the local bees decided to dig a hole in the dirt and make a hive right in my raised bed. now im a good old guy. i like bees. them being there bennifits my garden 10 fold. problem being that ive been stung like 3 times just trying to get my tomatoes or even into the garage. so what to do? i came up with a solution that bennifits me and the bees. move faster. lol now i timed them bees takes them about 15 seconds once i start picking tomatoes or opening the garage door to get all riled up and stinging mad. well, i just grab up a shirt full of tomatoes or unlock that garage door and get inside in 10 seconds or less. :) . Tony p.s. great looking honey. mmmm

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 11:39:08 pm »
Last year's honey was almost clear, just the least amount of color.  This year it varies from one hive to the next, one was clear, one was pale straw yellow, and the last we harvested looked like it was juice from a fresh split osage orange stave!!!

Offline longbowhntr

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 12:07:17 am »
JW , nice frame of honey. This is our 3rd year (my son and myself) having bees. The first year we got 1 hive and got 2 frames of honey.(2 more than we expected.) 2nd year we added 2 more more hives. Then lost one. We got 24lbs of honey. Gave it all away to family and friends. 3rd year we caught an early swarm back to 3 total. We pulled 8 frames off of one hive and got 27lbs. 9 frames off the another and got 34lbs. After giving away to close friends and family. My son has sold about $250 worth. I had to hide the last few jars before he sold them. He has already got standing orders for next year and could have sold probably 3 times as much this year.
He wants 6 or 8 more hives. The only problem with that is he wants wants to be in charge of sales and money collection. Then he's got something else that has to done ( not always ☺) when hive work needs to be done. What are dads for huh?☺☺.
Bee watching/keeping is very interesting bobby for sure.

Good looking honey by the way.
David
Near Dardanelle of Yell County Arkansas

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 03:44:23 am »
Damn I've been licking the screen but I can't taste it.
PM me a spoonful ;)
Been a funny year here, good for plums and apples, our pears won't ripen and the blackberries are poor
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 07:43:35 am »
JW That looks great.  My mouth started to drool looking at those pictures. The best honey I have had was what I got from your generous box full of goodies in the Christmas trade last year.  Looks like you have a nice harvest this year. 

Mike

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 09:51:35 am »
Looks like a good haul JW.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 09:54:02 am »
I can tell you are a proud Papa, John. Sure looks tasty.  :P
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 10:11:54 am »
Never heard of honey bees digging a hole and making a hive Riverrat, yellow jackets routinely make nests underground. Yellow jackets are not known for being great pollinators. A cup of gas down the hole followed by covering the hole with a 5 gal bucket after dark will take care of the problem. If they are yellow jackets, they have been known to swarm a person and kill them, bad little buggers.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 11:26:11 am »
Never heard of honey bees digging a hole and making a hive Riverrat, yellow jackets routinely make nests underground. Yellow jackets are not known for being great pollinators. A cup of gas down the hole followed by covering the hole with a 5 gal bucket after dark will take care of the problem. If they are yellow jackets, they have been known to swarm a person and kill them, bad little buggers.

Bumble bees also live under ground.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline kid bow

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 02:26:16 pm »
That's some good looking stuff there. It helps with allergies when it's the local stuff.
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

riverrat

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 08:00:02 pm »
its bumble bees.i know what yellow jackets are. id get rid of them.theyd hurt alot more too when i got stung. they dont loose thier stingers either.Tony

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 10:29:06 pm »
JW what's a hive of bee's go for.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 06:35:37 am »
Ya yellow jackets are bad but Bumble bee's hurt a lot worse to me, they just aren't looking for trouble like yellow jackets are. I don't see may bumble bees but got into a nest bushhogging and they weren't very happy, man did the stings hurt. :o Sorry for the high jack JW, again nice haul. I hope to have some hives in the future, I have some guys around home that are planning on helping me get set up but they lost several hives last winter so it will be another year. :-\  They were going to split a hive or two and give them to me to get started. Looking forward to getting into it as if I need another hobby.  ;) :) They sell quite a bit usually but not sure if it is really a lucrative business, I think they do it more for fun.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good