Author Topic: Tiller check  (Read 2350 times)

Offline Billbob

Tiller check
« on: September 17, 2015, 10:06:56 am »
Looking for a new set of eyes to see how my tiller looks.  It's a 58"ntn hickory 1 9/16 wide to past mid limb to 1/2 tips. It's pulling about 62lbs@26". At the moment it has 1 1/4" set. Thanks for taking a look at her.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Tiller check
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 11:39:28 am »
Top is stiff in the middle. But Id like to see it unbraced to be sure.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Billbob

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 12:06:45 pm »
There is a knot about a third of the way up on the top limb that is making it stiff.It goes across the whole limb.  It dog legs to the right kind of giving it some deflex. Afraid of it bending to much

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 01:03:06 pm »
Top middle looks stiff
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline Billbob

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 01:36:10 pm »
Think I'll take a couple scrapes on the top middle and maybe a little from the sides and see if I can get it bending a little more.

Offline Billbob

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 02:10:08 pm »
Well, I got her finished.  Took about 2" of set, but she shoots pretty good.  Put the tanned python skin on it and so far it has stayed on. Sanded the skin to get all the loose stuff off and put some tb2 on it. Now to find some meat for the freezer.  :D Thanks for all the help.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 02:11:39 pm »
Nice job. I like that corn stalk blind you have, very cool.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Billbob

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 02:59:58 pm »
Thanks. I made three panels that are 4' long.  Used 2x4 for the posts and 1x3 for the horizontal boards.  Just laid the stalks on the boards and used 1" electric wire staples to fasten them.  Think I'm going to make more of them.  Seems to give me good cover.  I think on the next set I'm going to lay the stalks on the boards and then screw another board on top of them to hold them in place instead of nailing each individual stalk.   

riverrat

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 03:04:24 pm »
looks good. nice bow. Tony