Author Topic: in the heat of the moment  (Read 3240 times)

Offline jayman448

in the heat of the moment
« on: September 10, 2015, 09:15:45 pm »
Went out for a hunt today. Was only expecting to find some spruce grouse but brought the broadheads anyways just in case that unsuspecting buck crossed my path. Never saw so much as a deer turd, but did come across two grouse tho. But do you think i could nail one? Not for the life of me. Gave em a good hair cut but thats about all. And from less than ten yards no less. Then i get home, take some practice, and can cir umsize a flea at thirty yards. I cant imagine whatll happen should i ever see a buck. Makes me second guess trying for one with the bow this year i tell ya

Offline TimBo

Re: in the heat of the moment
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 10:14:06 pm »
Sounds like you just need to visualize flea privates on your live targets!  If I shot that well at 30 yards, I would be pretty confident - I'm sure it will come together for you when you get the chance. 

Do you ever try just shooting one arrow and trying as much as possible to make it feel like a hunting situation, like shooting from your knees, or around a bush, or sneaking up on your target?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 10:43:11 pm »
You aren't picking a spot on the grouse but shooting at the grouse. Concentration is the key!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jayman448

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 02:26:07 am »
To be honest no i dont try shooting different positions. My theory was that muscle memory will take over and land a shot from any position as long as i consistantly practice good form. I agree pat. I think i was hoping to hit it rather than picking a spot. So fundimental but so easy to forget in that moment

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 10:09:46 am »
I've done it before too! On Ruffs and Blues! Picking a spot is the key as said already.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 01:44:58 pm »
Muscle memory works just as it states. If you don't have the muscle memory of shooting while crouched, leaning, bending, sitting, you won't have it. I'm sure I could shoot the eye out of a Starling at 20 yards, but when it comes down to it I would need to shoot at the eye and not the bird.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 03:25:24 pm »
I don't remember how many rabbits I've cut hair on at ten yards or less.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jayman448

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 02:16:21 pm »
Scored last night. Mind you it was from standing position but i popped him. Took off his head with one of those gillotines for turkeys. Sure did the job tho

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 09:46:42 pm »
Nice!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 06:17:09 am »
I was going to chime in with the eye technique but you did it. You will kill more now. keep it up.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 10:51:13 pm »
  TIM I've been shooting one arrow at a time for 30 years. Bucks don't let you shoot groups at them.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING