Author Topic: Coyote Hunting what do you do with them?  (Read 8911 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: Coyote Hunting what do you do with them?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2015, 02:16:34 am »
I was raised to shoot every yote I see. I was born and raised on a working dairy farm. We also raised almost every kind of farm animal you can think of. So for us is was a way of life. There more coyote than most people think. A coyote will also kill something just to kill it. Since I was 12 I have raised several beagles. I've had coyotes come in the yard and dig into the pens a all but kill my dogs. About 5 years ago a buddy and I was rabbit hunting an noticed a pack of coyotes hunting out beagle pack. They managed to attack our dogs before we could run them off. They killed 3 beagles and 2 coyotes had a beagle from each end playing tug of war the beagle was literally ripped in half while he was alive. We did manage to kill 6 of those worthless animals and I shot on at point blank rang with my 12 gauge while he was fighting with one of my other dogs.

So yes I will kill or mame every coyote I see if I have a chance. I also hunt them when ever I can. And I can tell you that if you kill one and skin it out and can stand the smell your lucky. There is no way in hell I would ever eat a coyote. I have absolutely no respect for these creatures. The one good thing that comes from them is their fur. The only good coyote is a dead one! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2015, 11:44:54 am »
Cant argue with your reasoning there.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 11:11:26 am »
Don't eat um either, Kill um on site also. :) I will skin them if it's the right time of the year, if not O well, to the ditch they go to feed the buzzards they got to eat also. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline CJDore

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 03:03:32 pm »
Don't eat um either, Kill um on site also. :) I will skin them if it's the right time of the year, if not O well, to the ditch they go to feed the buzzards they got to eat also. :)
 Pappy

Totally agree Pappy......Skin em and leave the rest for God's other creatures because they do need to eat also.

Offline punch

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 04:31:10 pm »
I don't think of it at the time I asked the question but the answer is going to depend on where you live.  I live in the city so no hunting near my home so I would have to go seek them out to hunt.  Where on the other hand some of you live in a more rural area where you can hunt on your land or close by.  I can see why if you live in a rural area that you would shoot them on site. 

I might still give it a try. Or take a shot if I run across one out hunting.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2015, 07:38:39 pm »
I'm sure with enough spice and seasoning you could make a good yote  chili or some sausage of some sort.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 08:27:27 pm »
YOTE QUIVERS!!!!!!!!!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2015, 04:03:00 am »
I have a pair of 'Yote Mittens and a Buddy has a old timey "Trapper Hat" that is Coyote - Pretty Fur ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2015, 02:39:51 pm »
Coyote stole fire and gave it to man, so the did at least one good thing for us. They are the trickster, the Loki. Sometimes to man's benefit sometimes not. Some native cultures believed only a medicine man can kill a coyote. I would shoot one just to see if I have the "juice". I've only seen one while hunting.

I had one come right by while muzzle loader hunting for second season doe on one of the coldest days I ever spent in a tree. It moved like a ghost in the deep snow. The coat seemed extra full and fluffy in the late winter. I cocked the hammer and it made a little click that was barely audible to me. It must have sounded like a gunshot to the yote with the way he took off. I can understand why people hunt them. Predator hunting often presents way more of a challenge. The only unfortunate thing about it is often times the meat from a predator is not worth eating from a taste standpoint.

Lebhuntfish,

Sorry to hear about your dogs. Packs of canines kill in the least humane way I've ever witnessed. Mother nature isn't all flowers and baby bunnies, that's for certain. I would imagine your beagles may have done the same to the yotes if  things were flipped and they were the bigger ones. It's unfortunate that coyotes have adopted pets as a favorite food source. I suppose it is a testament to their resourcefulness/cunning, as domesticated animals provide a safer easier meal than a wild animal.

If you do decide to try hunting yotes Punch, work on imitating a cat or dog in distress. I've heard it works much better that the traditional rabbit call.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2015, 02:49:44 pm »
Thanks kid! I appreciate it!

I guess I have some strong medicine, because I've killed loads of coyotes!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2015, 11:21:05 pm »
I've found a woodpecker distress with something flopping around a ways away will reel them in. Added bonus of bobcats coming in too. I think only really sneaky hunters can call in bobcats with mouth calls. And if you want to use everything you kill then coyote meat is grade A coyote bait. Killed more coyotes off dead coyotes then I'd ever have thought possible.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2015, 04:21:24 am »
Here in Mid-Michigan, Turkey sounds (specially Polt in distress) will bring 'Yotes in. Been many a Turkey Hunter surprised By a quick attack on a Decoy from Mr. Yote. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline punch

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2015, 12:51:32 pm »
Coyote stole fire and gave it to man, so the did at least one good thing for us. They are the trickster, the Loki. Sometimes to man's benefit sometimes not. Some native cultures believed only a medicine man can kill a coyote. I would shoot one just to see if I have the "juice". I've only seen one while hunting.

I had one come right by while muzzle loader hunting for second season doe on one of the coldest days I ever spent in a tree. It moved like a ghost in the deep snow. The coat seemed extra full and fluffy in the late winter. I cocked the hammer and it made a little click that was barely audible to me. It must have sounded like a gunshot to the yote with the way he took off. I can understand why people hunt them. Predator hunting often presents way more of a challenge. The only unfortunate thing about it is often times the meat from a predator is not worth eating from a taste standpoint.

Lebhuntfish,

Sorry to hear about your dogs. Packs of canines kill in the least humane way I've ever witnessed. Mother nature isn't all flowers and baby bunnies, that's for certain. I would imagine your beagles may have done the same to the yotes if  things were flipped and they were the bigger ones. It's unfortunate that coyotes have adopted pets as a favorite food source. I suppose it is a testament to their resourcefulness/cunning, as domesticated animals provide a safer easier meal than a wild animal.

If you do decide to try hunting yotes Punch, work on imitating a cat or dog in distress. I've heard it works much better that the traditional rabbit call.

The funny thing is I don't think I would even need to have a call to get one.  I seem to run into them all the time.  Last time I was out hunting I was stilling on a rock at a high point waiting for the sunny to rise.  This coyote came trotting along and nearly ran into me if I had not moved.  I could have taken him out with my knife!  It suprised the hell out of him.  It was funny watching him run, he kept looking back very suprised.

Offline Marks

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2015, 11:00:36 am »
We shoot em here too. They kill calves, fawns and turkey. The enemy of my friend is my enemy. I would like to have a good quality fur but there aren't too many prime winter coats this far south. I'm waiting around for the right one. I had a prime candidate show itself while my wife and I were squirrel hunting but he came up on my wifes side and she isn't as proficient with firearms as I am. He howled nearby so we set up and I mouth called to him. He came in through the scattered cows and she wasn't confident or quick enough to shoot through them. I also missed a black coyote with my bow from a treestand. I forced a shot through some brush and a limb deflected me.