Author Topic: reusing sinew after core breaks  (Read 6574 times)

Offline lewstewns

reusing sinew after core breaks
« on: September 20, 2015, 03:26:50 am »
hi folks. I apologise if this has been covered here.I have taken almost two years making a hornbow which i got to stringing and actually shot a few dozen arrows .i then developed a hinge quite near the handle because the core has popped.  i read something either here or on Atarn where somebody advised a guy in similar situation to me that he could reuse the sinew off the back on a new core?I am in the process of making a new core and i was wondering if anyone who has done this could advise me on the process because it would have to be removed and stored while the horn is glued first.

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
Re: reusing sinew after core breaks
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 12:05:13 pm »
yes lewstewns,, you can soak the bow in water, it may take a while for it to completely let loose.. the trick is to change the water before it goes bad and the sinew starts to rot.. when changing the water try not to disturbe   the tendons.  take them off a little at a time so as they wont end up looking like a tangled can of worms.....I have done this several times,   although it is easier to just use new sinew if you have it,,

but the old saying does come to mind   ( waste not --want not  )

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 12:01:29 am »
Yes as James says. You have all that sinew split. Use it. Takes some time to get it back into bundles but not as long as splitting new ones. Remember it is hard to remove all the glue, so comb all the bundles you strip off well to make a thin piece when it drys. Makes it easier to soak and reuse.

Offline lewstewns

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 02:55:38 am »
thanks guys and thats interesting.i thought i would have to use it as one plate as it comes off.i didnt realise i could totally disassemble it and kinda start again.thanks.lew

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 10:29:44 am »
I've peeled the sinew off a broke. Bow in one piece. Simson made a post of a bow he did like that. Putting it on as a premade back, I have to tiller mine out still.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 11:42:03 am »
I had a hornbow with a lot of twist reverse itself and the horn belly broke. I'm going to make a replacement limb and try to attach it as one.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 03:17:45 pm »
I've peeled the sinew off a broke. Bow in one piece. Simson made a post of a bow he did like that. Putting it on as a premade back, I have to tiller mine out still.

Here is that bow: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,36287.0.html

Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline lewstewns

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 03:26:23 am »
thats a beauty Simson. when you reused the sinew plate did you glue it on solid like a fibreglass laminate? or did you soak it ?

Offline simson

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 03:15:05 pm »
I have soaked it some hours, it stayed together. If you ever have worked with rawhide - same consistance.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline lewstewns

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 03:45:20 am »
ah thanks.yes i have used rawhide.i usually stitch it round the belly to dry.i,m looking forward to a wrestle with a wobbly jelly then!

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 01:44:00 am »
If you attach it all as one piece I have noticed you do not get the maximum reflex from each layer like you would with fresh 1 at a time layers of sinew .