Author Topic: Lots of shooters  (Read 6300 times)

Offline crooketarrow

Lots of shooters
« on: September 21, 2015, 10:15:40 pm »
  Today was my last day glassing bucks.  The last 4 days the numbers have drop to 0 in the beans for 2 days.

I've seen 132 BUCKS since second week of JULY. 28 Were shooters. I concider any buck 3 1/2 in WV legal. Most shooters in the 3 1/2 age class are ear tip 165 to 180 pounds. But I seen a lot of 17 to 20 inside inchers. In the 120's, 2,10 point bucks mid 130's, a 10 and 12 pointer inthe low 140's.

And 1 huge 11 pointer showed to me by a farmers son. He at first told me a 160#. I put him at 51/2,61/2 18,20 inside incher. 250,275er. The farmers let me glass every summer since I moved here 6 years ago. NO ONES EVER SEEN HIM BEFORE.

Me and the farmers son made a deal. This is a family farm and he said few family members rifle hunts it in NOV. So I can bow hunt the buck but only in Oct. If I set him up a stand for him to rifle hunt from . Each family member allowed one stand ground or tree stand.

I saw skipper 4 morning I'd put him in the mid 150's.  He's been in a 40 acer bean field has standing corn on 3 sides a hard woods on the 4 th. This is about a mile from the farm I live on. 4 Bean field  fields 5 corn fields all on the same farm.

All those beans and corn draw my bucks away every (summer) year. I hav'nt seen a buck in 2 days, like eveRy year when the white oaks start falling that where the bucks go.

Lots of shooters now if just one gets 15 yards.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline kleinpm

Re: Lots of shooters
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 10:50:10 pm »
Sounds like a lot of great deer. I was excited to get within shooting distance of a 2x2 muley.

Patrick

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 05:57:26 am »
They are all shooters to me if they get close enough. :) I don't look for tine length or main beam length, I look for back strap length. :) Good luck /shoot straight. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 02:30:49 pm »
 I know I know but a chunk of loin dos'nt look very good on the wall. Plus my old lady bitchs at me every time.

I've always been a horn hunter. I can't remember not being a horn hunter. My first deer was a 8 pointer. My first bow kill was a 8 pointer.

Younger in life I got the name 8 ball at the time. I had 11 pointers. That was way back in the mid 80's     
 pointers.  I got 6,8 pointers in a row with a old 300 sag. REM. pump

I look at the bucks age  to make sure he 3 1/2 or older.before I take a good look at his anlers. 

Don't get me wrong I love deer meat.  And shoot my share of doe's  everyear. I could kill twice as many as I kill or let others kill and it stil not be enough On this farm.                                                                                                                                                         

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 02:39:48 pm »
I'm heading up to SC to hunt right now, hopefully I'll pop one tonight with my .270 and pop another in the morning with my selfbow.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 02:48:51 pm »
  What part I have a brother in SC.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 03:37:27 pm »
Around Hampton
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 04:47:12 pm »
You're gonna get wet!!!  Actually you better bring your water wings.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 05:23:04 pm »
Yep, Hurricanes a coming. One good thing Pat, Cades food plots will get watered.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 11:23:23 pm »
Yeah Eddie, about a foot of rain tomorrow and Sunday. That ought to keep them going all winter.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jayman448

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 11:33:40 pm »
I wish.... ive been out almost every day since september fifth. I have not seen a buck to shoot at all. Ive baged two grouse and a duck so far.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 05:53:09 am »
Don't take this wrong, I admire anyone that truly trophy hunts as long as the use the rest of the deer but I do have a question, how to you know if a deer is 3 1/2 without putting it on the ground ?
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline jayman448

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 12:43:35 am »
Don't take this wrong, I admire anyone that truly trophy hunts as long as the use the rest of the deer but I do have a question, how to you know if a deer is 3 1/2 without putting it on the ground ?
   Pappy
+1