Author Topic: I wanna start knapping  (Read 3809 times)

keekeerun

I wanna start knapping
« on: February 11, 2008, 10:13:16 am »
Hi everyone I'm new to the primitive side and I think its awesome. I cut some rose shoots yesterday and I'D like to put some stone up front. Does anyone have any suggestions on the tools I need to get started knapping I read that Native Americans used deer antler. Are there any threads on this site that go thru the steps in knapping.  thanks a bunch  Keekeerun.

jamie

Re: I wanna start knapping
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 10:40:49 am »
if you do a search there are several good posts on knapping. you can also check out youtube. do a search there for flintknappingtips. thats my favorite series of knapping videos. there are others just as good but i like marty's series. also this place has some excellent fellas who can walk you through just about anything. where you from? being with an experienced knapper will go a long ways when learning to knap. peace

keekeerun

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 11:46:44 am »
Thanks jamie.  I'm from southcentral Pennsylvania, I just got some #4 copper wire and made a knapping tool,  I will check out your suggestions thanks

jamie

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 12:43:45 pm »
look for some knap ins too. i have an event in june in connecticut. a bit of a drive for ya though. if you are interested give me a p.m. and ill get ya some details on it

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 02:32:14 pm »
I'll second the YouTube endorsement.  Good info for free.  The great part about knapping that I've found so far is that it takes very little to get started (I mean all you really need are rocks) and very little time to actually make an arrowhead, (most of mine so far have been from flakes, but hey, they're sharp and pointy and look like arrowheads).  I've yet to knapp an honest to goodness point or blade, but I'm getting there. 

I can also recommend Missouri Trading Company if you want to purchase tools or supplies.  I was having problems finding copper end caps large enough for a big bopper, so I bought one from them.  I also ordered a few other nick-nacks just "because"  8) it's all about the tools, right?  ;D.  When I placed my order over the internet, the site miscalculated the shipping charge. They immediately contacted me and asked if I wanted a credit on my card or an obsidian knife preform.  I opted for the knife.  I've yet to finish it, but it looks to be pretty sweat. 

Have fun with it and experiment.  From what I've found on this site, there is knappable material all around us, even if there is no naturally occurring rock in your area.  (Porcelain toilet tanks, glass bottles, electric insulators, etc)

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

keekeerun

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 03:00:03 pm »
Thanks guys I made myself a copper flaker I guess that is what you would call it. I drilled down the center of  1 inch dialrod and inserted #4 copper wire, what shape is best for flakeing on the end of the copper.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 03:30:01 pm »
Pointed for flaking, and you might want one with a flat end for making notches. 
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 08:21:15 pm »
It's usually best to hammer the tip to shape instead of filing/grinding it. Copper work-hardens, so if you hammer it to a four-sided point and just touch it up with a file, it'll stay sharp longer.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 10:54:09 pm »
Like Hillbilly said.................bob

keekeerun

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 11:08:02 pm »
thanks a bunch, all I need is some stone now, and lots of practice.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 11:15:22 pm »
Go for it - It's a worthwhile hobby. And you can actually use what you make. All the advice is good - get a book on the subject with lots of pictures ;D. I'd recomend Dave Waldorf's (the art of flintknapping). I also sat with a guy when I was just starting out - that was a hellofa kick start. Keep us informed and if you run into problems "ask" and pictures wouldn't hurt. Have fun!!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

keekeerun

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 11:37:49 pm »
Thanks cowboy I will. I'm not set up to post any pictures yet, but hopefully soon.