Author Topic: Tomatilla salsa  (Read 3324 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Tomatilla salsa
« on: September 24, 2015, 05:03:30 pm »
Marcia and I went to the farmers market a few days ago and came home with a box of Roma tomatoes a basket of tomatillos a few peppers, garlic and some sweet onions and okra. Today I husked the tomatillos and threw them in the food processor along with onions, garlic, red and green bell peppers, salt, pepper, cumin, crushed red pepper for spice and lemon juice. After simmering for about 20 minutes I filled the jars and gave them a 20 minute hot water bath and here they are. All domes popped!  ;)

The Roma tomatoes we bought got dropped in boiling water to loosen the skins then chopped up and was added to chopped onions, bell peppers, salt, pepper, garlic and a good bunch of Greek oregano. After a few hours of simmering I added a can of tomato paste to help thicken the tomato sauce. Today I filled 9, 1 gallon zip lock baggies and stacked in the freezer for use this winter.
 Marcia made pickled okra with the okra we bought. YUM!!! 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Chief RID

Re: Tomatilla salsa
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 12:13:53 am »
Looks like you may have a valuable harvest. A very good use of time and produce. Enjoy!

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 04:02:31 am »
Makin' Me hungry Pat ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 11:11:48 am »
Good eats..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano