Author Topic: Announcing "Me"  (Read 4773 times)

Offline root

Announcing "Me"
« on: September 26, 2015, 04:53:28 pm »
Hello everyone my 1st post here.
Found the site while researching tudor bodkin arrow heads.

I forge them and was looking for some info on them and google brought me here.
So I figured I would register say hello and see what I can find on smithing arrow heads.

I've made a few of them so far.
I make mostly sharp pointy things with my forge and sometimes art work to.

Just finished a advanced blacksmith course over 3 straight days at 10 hrs. a day last week.

I really enjoy forging period correct weapons and that is what lead me to making the bodkins and other weapons.

Thank you for having me.
Rich
I like sharp things, pointy things, and sharp pointy things!
Boomerangs too!

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Announcing "Me"
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 04:59:38 pm »
Welcome.  Could you post some pictures of your bodkins and other work?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline root

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 06:39:10 pm »
I don't have pix of what I make as a local antique shop pretty much buys most if not all of my work and resells it.
BUT
I will take some pix of the stuff I make tomorrow.

I'm currently filling a order for 18 small Railroad track anvils.
started two knives after hammering them out today.

I'll try to forge up some bodkins tomorrow since they are fast and easy. I normally use wood to forge them though as it's easy to burn them up with coal once the cone is hammered out and shaped.

I need to buy a english longbow so I can shoot some of my arrow heads and see how they work.
I have a recurve aluminum bow that is from the 50's or 60's. It belonged to my ex's brother that he gave me before he died.
it's maybe 35 40 lbs tops.  shoots wooden practice arrows OK, but I'm pretty sure that a period correct built tudor arrow will be way to heavy for it.

Speaking of longbows are those ones on ebay with the 550 paracord string for 50 to 70 bux any good?
They are rated at 90 lbs and that's about the min. I'm gonna need to shoot the type 7,8,and 10 that I am forging out.
I plan on constructing them period correct as I do the rest of my things.

Rich
Pix coming tomorrow.
Boomerangs too!

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 09:01:00 pm »
Welcome!  I've found this place to be a wealth of information with some pretty friendly people.  :)

Offline root

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 06:35:02 pm »
AS promised.
Some of the stuff I made today. ( some stuff not pictured like the anvils)

Three arrow heads and two knives I forged out today after I was done with a anvil order.

Coal was still going good and figured I had enough time to smack out a few things while the anvils normalized for finishing.
The bodkins are made for my aluminum recurve bow these are the three types I've been making. don't know what they weigh as I can't find my reloading scale right now. and like the knives they are unfinished.  Well the Railroad spike knife just needs a high polish. the 1084C knife has a ways to go yet.
As I said I don't normally take pix,  I have outlets for my stuff and I treat my blacksmithing as a hobby. In other words I make what I want when I want, I do have a day job 3 days a week.

What I do want to do though is find a decent English war bow so when I get the Bodkins figured out 100% I can launch some so I have a idea how they work.

Any Ideas on a cheap War Bow that will shoot a 1/2 inch wooden arrow? I only plan on using it once or twice a year.

I ordered cow horn today and will be setting up some wine vinegar with copper tomorrow after work.
Also started making tools last week to make the bodkins consistent once I get a bow figure out what they are supposed to weigh and all that.

Thanks
Rich

PS: almost forgot the pic!!!!

Boomerangs too!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 10:16:49 am »
Welcome aboard, that is some very nice work. :) Be sure and post some of the stuff in the primitive skills section, folks will love looking and commenting on it. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 12:59:14 am »

Very nice. 8) What are the cow horn, wine vinegar, and copper for?

Wayne