Author Topic: Cracks on back after reflexing  (Read 2942 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Cracks on back after reflexing
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 11:17:56 am »
Any time I expose a new back I always seal it with shellac. I've had 10 year old(seasoned) osage check like in your pics when heat was applied. The shellac will help prevent the checking and can easily be remover. Also the shellac can take the heat where some other sealers can't. It will even take steaming.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2015, 12:05:09 pm »
great advice Pat,, I have had "seasoned" staves sent to me here in the hight desert,, and started checking the day they got here,,, cant be to careful on a nice piece of wood,,, :)

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2015, 12:09:37 pm »
Us high desert folk just can't catch a break let me tell ya.  Same thing has happened to me a hundred times over.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2015, 02:13:20 pm »
I keep a spray can of Bulls Eye shellac on my work bench all the time. Its a little more expensive than the dry or paint on kind but it is quick and easy for these kinds of application.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 06:00:28 am »
I get them from time to time,not as bad if I seal the back as Pat said. No problem as long as they don't run off the sides, super glue and move on. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good