Author Topic: NE Washington shoot shafts  (Read 5396 times)

Offline Tracker0721

NE Washington shoot shafts
« on: September 28, 2015, 11:41:18 am »
Anyone know where I can find a resource telling me what I can use for shafting around the colville national forest or eastern washington in general. Wanting to be totally primitive and planing down shafts doesn't seem that truly primitive.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline DC

Re: NE Washington shoot shafts
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 11:59:54 am »
I would try anything that grows straight. Cut a handfull of anything, let it dry and give it a bend. See how tough it is. Label everything so when you get something that works you can remember where to go to get more.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 01:12:13 pm »
I drove through Spokane coming west a while back and you should have lots of mock orange and service berry. Probably some chokecherry too

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 01:41:47 pm »
And using the pinky diameter rule will work for all shoots? How about dry time? When do you know it's ready? Weigh it till it doesn't change?
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 02:17:32 pm »
Leave the bark on while drying. Some shoots won't check if the bark is removed but most I've tried will check badly...especially in dry climates.   I'd give the shoots at lease a month or two but longer is better. Well seasoned arrows are a lot more stable and will stay straight better.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 02:03:50 am »
You can't rush shoot shafts. Like bow wood they need to season, but they don't take as long.
Cut them as long as possible, leave the bark on and don't seal the ends. I bind them up with string or zap straps. Every day or 2 take them out, hand straiten and bind them back up. This will save a lot of time for heat corrections later. After 2-3 month (longer if possible)some of the ends will check but that's why you cut them long. Remove the bark and bind them back up. This is when I start weighing them.
When they stop losing weight, make your shafts. Its easier to heat straiten  when they're long, then cut them later.
Different species will require different thickness, so you'll just have to experiment. I like cutting them a little bigger then planing them down till I reach my spine.
You should really be looking for mock orange aka syringa, it's awesome arrow wood, beautiful wood, and if you can find a big enough piece it'll make a bow.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 12:19:56 pm »
Ha! I just saw a bowyers mock orange bow this morning! I'll definitely take a look for it. Figure if I get cutting now I'll have tons of shafts to play with in late winter. I like the leave a bit bigger idea, had a few dozen I was hand planning to 11/32 all come up 10-15 pounds too weak. Because I didn't check them early. Thanks guys! Guess I'll take my field guide and get hunting some arrows!

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 02:23:31 pm »
Yep, cut often, you'll be thankful later

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 02:44:27 pm »
Wandering my father inlaws property on his side by side and we came into a gully full of ocean spray. Almost a mile drive with ocean spray on all sides. I found my shaft material! Anyone know how to make it heavier?

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 03:15:01 pm »
Heavier?? There isn't much heavier than OS. The OS around here sinks. If you mean spine they will stiffen up a lot as they dry.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 04:18:55 pm »
I'm looking to be around 550+ grains. I didn't think ocean spray got that heavy after reading a previous thread on ocean spray. I'm using obsidian points so i won't get much weight from my point.

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 05:32:18 pm »
I just weighed one of my OS shafts. It's been drying for a year or so, bark off except for a couple inches on each end. 31" long. Just under 3/8" on the fat end. Weighs 641 gr

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 05:39:05 pm »
Winner winner chicken dinner. I'm so stoked now! Gonna go start cutting. So does leaving bark on or leavin just a few inches on each end work better in your experiences?

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 05:43:22 pm »
OS shafts need to be seasoned a long time.
I debarked some after about 6 months and waited a full year till I made arrows.
Had them spined 45# and now they are over 70#
Just keep cutting and experimenting and find what works for you.
OS makes very good shoot shafts, the best in my parts anyways

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 05:52:56 pm »
Plan on using something else this year. Bundle up a shipload of shoots, put them in a corner and forget them. The area where I walk sounds like what you have. I would walk until I spotted a straight shoot, cut it and skin it as I walked. When I was done I would stick it in my belt and start looking for another. In an hour I would have about a dozen. Do the same the next day. Any you miss you will spot the next day or so. Good for your heart, your soul and makes the walk go way faster cause you're doing something