Author Topic: NE Washington shoot shafts  (Read 5395 times)

Stringman

Re: NE Washington shoot shafts
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 05:56:53 pm »
Billy Berger has a nice article in this months magazine that explains the process real well

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 06:43:45 pm »
Yes he does. I just read Billy's article yesterday. His info is for a specific tribe's arrows but the general prep info is good for any shoot arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 09:49:43 pm »
Found 20 in the past 30 minutes. Getting too dark cold and wet though so I'll go again tomorrow. I figure these will be next year arrows. And the next and next if I keep going. This is a blast!
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 12:25:24 am »
Now you've got a working stock that will get you going. Now when you collect get real fussy. Only take the cream. Instead of 20 in 30 minutes just get 3 or 4. You will understand once you start working with the first 20 you've got.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2015, 07:18:18 pm »
Well wizardgoat I found mock orange around my new house, never knew what it was before. And red osier dogwood at my parents. Lots of hopeful arrows next year!
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline sumpitan

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2015, 08:42:10 am »
Anyone know where I can find a resource telling me what I can use for shafting around the colville national forest or eastern washington in general. Wanting to be totally primitive and planing down shafts doesn't seem that truly primitive.

Truly primitive is my ultimate goal, too. Just want to point out that the oldest surviving arrow shafts in the world are made of split, planed timber. We are talking about German, Danish, Russian arrows from 12  - 10 000 years ago. Heck, in Northern Europe, shoot shafts are a younger technology than split timber shafting. These guys used flint blades, too.

Tuukka

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2015, 03:17:40 pm »
Love me some ocean spray. Osier is good, hazel, chokecherry. Like them all. I'm not a big fan of phragmities tho, round here it's just too thin walled and light. The encyclopedia of Native American bows arrows and quivers 2 should have some info for your area.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2015, 04:22:53 pm »
I need to look into that book then. Never knew there was such a thing. That's cool about the planed shafts! I like how fast I can make them but collecting all these shoots is pretty fun too. Maybe I'll make a German Primitive jaeger set to honor my ancestors and a Pacific Northwest set cause that's what I have to play with.