Author Topic: Unibond 800  (Read 6490 times)

Offline Tim B

Unibond 800
« on: September 28, 2015, 06:00:53 pm »
I'm reading some bad things about Unibond 800 and was wondering if anyone can recommend a better glue for south American hardwood to bamboo? Don't want to use Titebond.

Offline Dances with squirrels

Re: Unibond 800
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 07:00:36 pm »
Smooth On
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 07:21:24 pm »
  I use both tightbond and smooth on. On multilams where I am using a power lam or any kind of fit that require some force I use the smooth on. On easy layups I use tightbond. No issues with either one.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 08:05:57 pm »
Not sure what your reading about Unibond? Its fantastic epoxy glue. Ive used it on at least a half dozen hickory and boo backed ipe bows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 08:47:14 pm »
  I have been planning on buying some unibond. All I have heard so far is praise.

Offline Tim B

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 09:05:07 pm »
I was trying to find it on line and found a forum that said when the guy who was gluing up his veneer it peeled apart after several hours of being clamped. He said the new formula was different than the original.

Online Hamish

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 09:13:13 pm »
The only real  problem you can have with urea formaldehyde glues is when they are past their used by dates.

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 09:38:29 pm »
I was trying to find it on line and found a forum that said when the guy who was gluing up his veneer it peeled apart after several hours of being clamped. He said the new formula was different than the original.
And that one guy is going to turn you off a great product used by bowyers everywhere?

Offline GB

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 03:01:13 am »
I've done a dozen or so glue ups with Unibond and have never had any problems with it.  Bamboo and hickory backed, tri-lams, power lams, etc.  The label on the can says to keep bent laminations clamped overnight, which is kinda vague.  I keep the clamps on 10 hours.
Smooth On is good though, too.  They both do the job equally well IMO.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 05:08:59 am »
I use unibond exclusively for my laminate bows. I've never had a problem.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 08:05:29 am »

Tell him to either weigh or measure by volume his mixture next time. Whatever the changes from URAC to Unibond may be? I cant see or feel. It smells the same, looks the same, works the same and cures the same in my shop.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 08:31:09 am »
Resorcinol. It's my glue of choice and I will never use anything else.
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 10:02:18 am »
I'm pretty danged happy with UniBond 800.  The 'new' formulation is as near to being the EXACT same thing as I can tell.  The Nelson Paint Company, the distributor I get Unibond 800 from, says that the new formulation mixes more readily and is more heat tolerant than the old.  NEITHER of which were ever a problem to me before actually, so IF it's different, I don't notice it particularly.

OneBow

Offline Tim B

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 03:22:13 pm »
Cool, thanks for all the input. I just hadn't used it before and after seeing the complaint I just wanted to see if anyone else had any problems with it but it sounds like it might have been a fluke on his part. Just ordered it from Nelson paints and am waiting on it's arrival.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 10:13:38 pm »
And,, it only takes one Salesman to make a negative post on different sites, but you can believe what you read on the internet?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?