Author Topic: Where can I find flint  (Read 29579 times)

keekeerun

Where can I find flint
« on: February 11, 2008, 08:21:01 pm »
I live in PA. I was wondering where I could find flint river chert or other natural stone without buying. I will buy eventually but was wondering, do you guys pick your own flint?  Mabye i'm not in a good area. Where is a good place to start looking? Thanks.

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
Re: Where can I find flint
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 10:28:26 pm »
You might want to check with your local soil conservation/agriculture agent for your county,they should know if  flint/chert is local to you. Also check out the awesome glass points in arrows by twisted limbs,works of art Id say. Auggie.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 10:32:04 pm by Auggie »
laugh. its good for ya

Offline uwe

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 03:36:29 pm »
Come to the coast of North Germany. (Baltic Sea).
Another idea: where sand is digged out or where chalk from the Jura age is to be found. Sorry, no other idea to comment.

keekeerun

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 08:33:21 pm »
Thanks guys. Just wondering how the Native Americans found flint.

Texas Pete

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 12:02:17 pm »
I live in PA. I was wondering where I could find flint river chert or other natural stone without buying. I will buy eventually but was wondering, do you guys pick your own flint?  Mabye i'm not in a good area. Where is a good place to start looking? Thanks.

Here in West Texas you almost trip over it.  I took a walk down a dry creekbed with a gunny sack and picked up a 50 pound sack of it

Texas Pete

Offline redwasp

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 12:08:05 am »
keerkeer, I live in Northeastern P.A. and wondering the same. I found a flint outcrop close to my house, however the people i've talked to said it was poor quality. I did some research and found that you are in a better area than I to find chert. Don't know the quality of that though.  In Allentown there is supposedly brown Jasper haven't investigated further but i will. I will let you know. Try to search harvesting chert/flint in southcentral P.A. and let me know if you are close to that area mabey you could get me some and Ill trade with ya after I find where to get Jasper allentown is 30 min from me.  Also there is a group of knappers that get together every Tuesday in my area I'll try to find out more from them. stay in touch.
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Offline lowell

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 10:35:51 am »
Is flint the same as chert?  Same stuff ....just a different word ??

A quarry owner took me out in his quarry and showed me the line of chert in the limestone.  I picked up a bunch but seemed poor.  Some was hard but mixed with a lot of softer chalky like areas.
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 02:05:55 pm »
Personally, I get my knappin' rock from a local landscape stone dealer.  They will sell the stuff by the bucket....and if I have less than a bucket I get it for free.   ;D
Although I live in an area that has excellent stone just layin' around.....I don't know any landowners and (more importantly) I don't have the time to hike around in the back-40.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline cgoings

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 07:11:10 pm »
Hello all:

I thought you might be interested in some chert exposure maps I am creating for Iowa. I am doing it one county at a time and have Henry and Washington counties done. I am working on Louisa County right now. It takes awhile to publish each map because I am ground-truthing as I go. You can go to www.rollinghillsconsulting.com and click on County Chert Maps to access them. If you follow RHCS on Facebook, you will be notified when the next map is up.

Hope this is helpful!

Chad

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 07:16:38 pm »
Very cool idea.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 10:58:24 pm »
Keekeerun, I live in Nw. Pa an the closet flint that we have is in Niagara Falls area(Buffalo, Ny.) I have heard there is Jasper in the Reading area, never been that far east so not sure. I'm in the Erie area an we are flint poor. Good Luck with your search. Later Bob