Author Topic: Damon howatt mamba?  (Read 4508 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Damon howatt mamba?
« on: September 29, 2015, 09:42:37 pm »
Just picked up a Damon howatt mamba from a friend fo $50. It's marked #55 and appears to have the original string. It appears to be in good shape, though I only saw it by porch light. I gave it a few test pulls and it feels very smooth for such short limbs. So what are your alls opinions on this bow? I don't mess with glass bows much so don't have much to compare to other than a few wood bows and an old darton recurve that are in my collection.

Thanks
Kyle

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Damon howatt mamba?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 09:46:11 pm »
That is a very fast, sweet shooting bow. The problem I had with them is I think DH's scales are always off. They seem stronger then what it says on the bow.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 10:17:48 pm »
I will be hunting with a Damon Howatt Balboa this year.  I think its a similar bow to the Mamba.  It is a smooth shooting bow.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 05:04:24 am »
Ya got a good Bow there Kyle - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 07:55:37 am »
I'm glad to know I got a good one. I havnt shot it yet, in waiting for the sun to pop up. Now I'm trying to figure out what age it could be. The serial number is hm8570, so from what I can gather it's made in '78, '88, '98. Or something of the sort. Anyone have any idea which it would be? I hope the pictures help some. And I cant tel if they are factory or not, I'm leaning towards not, but it has inserts for a stabilizer and quiver.

Thanks
Kyle

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 08:16:33 am »
I copied and pasted this info from an archery talk forum.

Martin Archery bought the Damon Howatt Archery Co. in 1976, and used the DH name and logo on their bows until the mid 1990s. All recurves and longbows sold by Martin (with the exception of a couple very recent models) are made at the Howatt Plant in Yakima, WA......just like they always have been.

The Mamba is the same bow as the old Howatt Hi Speed, which was discontinued in 1979. The Hi Speed was reintroduced as the Mamba in 1986. The name comes from a series of bows made by Howatt in the early 1960's that included the Mamba Hi-Speed [58"], the Mamba Hunter [62"], and the Mamba Rocket [66'].
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left