Author Topic: You say sinew, I say sinew  (Read 5982 times)

Offline Locogear

You say sinew, I say sinew
« on: October 01, 2015, 05:18:06 pm »
Hello everyone, a new greeny here. I have a question about which sinew is best for arrow making? Deer leg or deer back? I noticed one is way more expensive than the other too, why is that?

Ps and off topic, is there an easier way to post things as a mobile user, without having to answer all those questions each time?
Thanks, Preston

Offline RBLusthaus

Re: You say sinew, I say sinew
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 06:43:15 pm »
I think the main difference is the length of the strand obtainable from each type of sinew.  I imagine some will say one is more stretchable than the other, but even if true (I don't think so)  this quality of sinew is not used in arrow making.  Which ever you get hands on is just fine for wrapping feathers and points.  My thoughts. 

Russ

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 06:54:53 pm »
Hello everyone, a new greeny here. I have a question about which sinew is best for arrow making? Deer leg or deer back? I noticed one is way more expensive than the other too, why is that?

Ps and off topic, is there an easier way to post things as a mobile user, without having to answer all those questions each time?
Thanks, Preston

the questions stop after a few posts.

I would also say length. Imagine backing a bow with 5 inch strands, vs. 18 inch strands.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 08:13:57 pm »
I use leg tendon for bow backing, but have done one final layer of back sinew too.
As already stated deer or elk back strap is longer than the leg, so it's much better for wrapping fletchings and arrow heads. It's also easier to get a nice long string of a good diameter. Even a long enough string, I feel that leg tendon is maybe not as strong at that same diameter, just my experiences.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 08:34:47 pm »
Both types of sinew are excellent for arrow wrappings, the length just varies a good bit.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 08:35:40 pm »
You might want to see if anyone has any sinew to trade on the trading post here on P.A.  You can't buy or sell anything on there but you might get some for a good trade.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Buck67

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 07:15:56 pm »
For arrow making I like Elk back sinew.  The 18" fibers are nice.

Offline Locogear

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 11:23:01 pm »
Thank all of y'all for the answers to my questions, very helpful! Still new to this site but I feel like a kid in a candy store :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 05:06:21 am »
I prefer back strap sinew for all my wrapping projects, I save everyone I come close to, once  cleaned and dried it will last forever. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

riverrat

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 10:33:44 pm »
" Which ever you get hands on is just fine for wrapping feathers and points." i second that :) Tony

Offline Locogear

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 02:48:14 pm »
I see, that's what I was hoping to hear :p I plan on using it to wrap points, and just fletch on my jig as usual

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 03:08:27 pm »
I just finished processing a bunch of deer leg sinews, and it reminds me how much of a pain in the neck they are to process, back sinew is longer, and easier to process than leg. But both make fine arrow making materials. Whatever you can get your hands on is a good way to do it unless you have access to copious amounts of deer carcasses. You'll have to post pics of the finished arrows, id love to see them!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Locogear

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2015, 03:31:44 pm »
I sure will! ATM I'm letting my river cane season. I have my pine pitch ready to go. Now I just need to get some nice fletching, some sinew, and decide on which route to go for making my arrowheads