Author Topic: Anyone around Central Indiana  (Read 10031 times)

Offline cwade3085

Anyone around Central Indiana
« on: October 02, 2015, 02:58:10 am »
New to the forum. looking for anyone around the North Central Indiana area. im from the Lafayette/ Delphi area. ive shot compund bows most my life. Wanting to put the cams down and to get into Primitive archery. would be awesome if i could find someone that knows their way around primitive style archery. and would take some time and teach me how to build a Bow, primitive style arrows and flint napping arrow heads... ect. thanks

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Anyone around Central Indiana
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 06:47:26 am »
Welcome!  I'm in S.E. Indiana.  There are a couple of guys from the Brown County area on here.  I'm not sure of anyone north of Indy.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Stringman

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 08:42:32 am »
Hang around, Wade. I'm sure someone will chime in. If not then ask away from this group, or try to make it to a local event. Lotsa good advise floating around here.

Welcome!

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 09:24:26 am »
Welcome to primitive archery and the obsession! Like stringman said, if you cant find anyone close to you, let the PA family here help and answer all your questions. When you start your first bow, take lots of pics and post them here. Ask every question that you need an answer to. There are some of the best bowyers in the world on this forum. All of which are willing to help and share their knowledge with everyone. If you can, find the traditional bowyers bibles Volume 1 through 4 and read them. Get volume 1 and 2 for sure.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline cwade3085

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 12:08:44 pm »
Thanks guys. I have been looking into the traditional bowyers bible and plan on picking up the volume 1-4 books if nothing else to read and further knowledge and have something to look back to... I will stick around for a while. This is something I've dreamed of for a while and finally said I'm doing it.  I talking to my wife last week about it, she kinda rolled her eyes but is OK with it. She knows when I get into something and start showing a strong passion for it, I end up jumping in with both feet. And do get an obsession with it.. If I don't find a "mentor" I'll just jump in and do it myself with the help of books, Internet and you guys.

Welcome!  I'm in S.E. Indiana.  There are a couple of guys from the Brown County area on here.  I'm not sure of anyone north of Indy.

Thank you.  Hopefully someone is and will chime in....  at least there is a few Hoosiers. Do you guys do any gatherings or anything?.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 02:36:48 pm »
We get together in Richmond KY each spring at the Moontree gathering.  There is the big shoot in Cloverdale IN. each spring.  I wanted to have some guys out to my place this summer for some bow building and shooting but I never found the time.  Maybe we could find a day this winter to all get together and work on some bows. 

If you really want to get some help from some experts start planning a trip to the Tennessee Classic or the Marshall Michigan shoot.  I go to both and there is a lot of bow making going on at them.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline cwade3085

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 06:05:17 pm »
We get together in Richmond KY each spring at the Moontree gathering.  There is the big shoot in Cloverdale IN. each spring.  I wanted to have some guys out to my place this summer for some bow building and shooting but I never found the time.  Maybe we could find a day this winter to all get together and work on some bows. 

If you really want to get some help from some experts start planning a trip to the Tennessee Classic or the Marshall Michigan shoot.  I go to both and there is a lot of bow making going on at them.

Thanks for the info... if you set something up this winter sometime let me know. If you don't mind. I'd  like to meet up with and get to know you all. I would take any and all help I can get. I always  like to get multiple ideas and ways from multiple sources... I just read a thread on the Tennessee Classic. Looked like a lot of fun to attend  and lots of knowledge walking around.  I will try to plan a trip to attend maybe both.

Stringman

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 08:37:45 am »
If you have to choose, go with the classic as you're first choose! And plan as much time as possible! You won't regret it.

Offline cwade3085

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 08:57:53 am »
Thanks stringman.