Author Topic: Pie Irons...........  (Read 4023 times)

Offline chamookman

Pie Irons...........
« on: October 02, 2015, 05:12:12 am »
I can't believe that all the years I've been Camping, I never have used Pie Irons. A Buddy of Mine was telling about the great sandwiches & desserts He was making sitting around His fire-pit. Went to My local Gander Mountain and got Me a Iron (still have to season them). Anyone have a favorite recipe for Irons ? Thanks - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: Pie Irons...........
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 10:01:25 am »
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM  ;D Mountain Pies, 2 pcs of your favorite bread with favorite pie filling between, toasted on a open fire. Enjoy Bob

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 02:04:46 pm »
Pizza's are great Bobert. Just smear a bit of sauce, cheese and pepperoni in there and close it up. PB & J is killer in one as well. Don't worry about seasoning them, just give them a dusting of PAM before each use. You can make a great Monte Christo as well. Dust it with powdered sugar after the sandwich comes out, dip it in raspberry jam and your in food Heaven buddy!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline unkieford

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 12:47:41 am »
Pie irons are great! My wife calls the sandwiches 'Jaffles'. It's a New Zealand thing. We have a shop here in town called Zookz that makes 'em to go!

Look them up, and you can see their menu page for a few more killer combos.

These are some of my wife's favorites to make at home.

Savory hamburger (she calls it mince)  pre cooked of course

Ham, cheese and pineapple

She also does a mix of spaghetti O's or Campbell's cheesy spaghetti, cheese, finely diced onion and lightly cooked bacon.   Sounds weird but tastes great.

---Ford---
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 12:55:04 am by unkieford »

Offline chamookman

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 04:22:41 am »
Thanks Guys. Pearly- The cast Iron ones are coated with an industrial wax to prevent rusting in the store. They recommend heating the wax off, then a few coats of Crisco to season - takes about an hour. I was surprised that they said not to use Olive Oil. That's all I use on My cast iron Pans. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 08:13:11 am »
I think you will do fine with olive oil after seasoning. I use it too in my pans. I have a bone to pick with you, chamookman. Now I have to go buy one of these contraptions. I was getting along fine just looking at them and going right past them at Cabellas.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 10:02:31 am »
Olive oil has a lower smoking temp. Maybe that's why they say not to use it to season the irons. To season a cast iron pan you get the pan hot first(makes the pores expand) then add the oil that gets into the pores and makes it stick resistant. Olive oil might burn and have a bad taste.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 10:44:00 am by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chamookman

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 05:23:47 am »
Sorry Chief  O:). At the store, right next to the Irons - hang those folding baskets (made by the company). They're very handy around a fire also  >:D. Have Fun - Bob.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 06:06:30 pm »
As a kid, my grandmother had one - - called it a toast-tite, and made smores for us kids over the stove in the kitchen.  No campfire necessary.  Bread, left over meat loaf, cole slaw and ketchup in a toast-tite is close to food heaven for me. 

Russ

Offline chamookman

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 04:03:55 am »
I'm with You Russ - Meat Loaf is favoritest samich of all time. Sourdough bread with some Catsup/horseradish/slice of some good smoked cheddar top & bottom + depending on My mood, maybe a good shot of a spicy brown Mustard. Bob

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 09:10:48 am »
You know if you put in "meat potato's rutabaga and lard" you would have a pastie.