Author Topic: Silk vs cotton thread for self nocks  (Read 5171 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: Silk vs cotton thread for self nocks
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 02:25:13 pm »
Lots of great info here! Not to jump in the middle but, Pat could you elaborate some on the pitch varnish? I've heard of pine pitch for halfting but no the varnish. I've just recently collected a bunch of fresh pine pitch and would like to try to make the varnish. Thanks, Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 03:03:29 pm »
Patrick, it pretty simple. I guess it actually isn't a varnish but it works well for sealing. I take hard, brittle pitch and dissolve it in alcohol then strain the impurities out and seal it in an air tight jar. I use hard brittle pitch to get a hard finish. If the pitch is sticky or gooey the finish will be.
 I use it for sinew wraps and to seal primitive arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 09:34:28 pm »
Thanks Pat! That sounds simple and awesome!  I will have to try that for sure. Thanks again,
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!