Author Topic: Angostura abo  (Read 7185 times)

Offline iowabow

Angostura abo
« on: October 03, 2015, 11:38:06 am »
This morning's point. I have been working on this ABO diagonal Palo flaking pattern for some time now. On this point they go one direction on one side and the opposite on the other.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Angostura abo
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 09:24:30 pm »
Sweet! Nice work

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline flungonin

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 01:40:32 am »
Nice job

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 08:29:27 am »
What's the chances the inheritor of these points appreciates the talent represented here? Nice flakes scars John. Glad you're posting more again!

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 11:54:06 am »
Cool 8)
Can you show the process?
I hope you show the finished point.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 09:46:12 pm »
What's the chances the inheritor of these points appreciates the talent represented here? Nice flakes scars John. Glad you're posting more again!
Not sure  Scott about if they will understand that the coolness of shooting 7 flake across the face and cutting the stone in half will impact the viewer in the same way you caught it. I am sure now that I can do it better each time but this was the first time I completed the task (for the most part) on both sides. This blade looks pretty basic but it took me years to figure out.
Scott my father pasted away this summer so I was very busy with matters related to that. I will be making points everyday now. People are going to get sick of them I think.
Thanks for your input also man.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 10:05:12 pm »
Cool 8)
Can you show the process?
I hope you show the finished point.
Zuma
I will do my best as I make some future points to past on some of the techniques. But in a basic approach I do the following.
1. I biface the stone first.
2. I try to take matching flake from each side of the stone to meet in the middle.
3. I remove all ridges to smooth the stone and rounding it in all three axis as to create a lens cross section and lens horizontal section and somewhat lens in profile.
4. Then I cut (ishi stick with pressure) the stone to create diagonal flake scars.
Now the way each of these steps are executed require very particular preparation and technical use of the simple tools. For example during the biface step the natural instinct is to hit the stone hard with the antler to drive long flakes but this will only produce short ones. The solution is to hit softer. Many if the ABO techniques are the opposite  of logical and intuitive thought. Using the ishi the same as copper will produce a hollow ground surface and that will not cut a stone. So care must be made to not pull on the ishi but push but not to hard less you over shot the edge. The list of rules goes on and on..
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 10:08:36 pm by iowabow »