Author Topic: My first try at cane arrows  (Read 9391 times)

Offline FlintWalker

My first try at cane arrows
« on: February 12, 2008, 02:52:30 am »
Actually, these are the first arrows i've ever made. I've put together some wood arrows from bought shafts and fletched tons of carbon and aluminum shafts, but never actually made any. 
  These are from some cane I cut a while back. They are not matched by weight or spine. I had these in the house by a heat vent and they dried out pretty fast so I figured I would practice on them.  I spun some osage dowels out and put a 1-1/2 plug in both ends, tapered the point end and cut self nocks in the other end. I wrapped the nock end with some heavy thread then soaked it with super glue and fletched them with some turkey feathers.  I know super glue ain't very primitive, but I wasn't necessarily trying to be primitive, just cheap!
  Of the six, four of them shoot pretty good. They all may be a little stiff for the 47# bow I shot them through, but I just wanted to get a few made up so I would have an idea as to what spine would shoot well from some of my bows.   Saw Filer

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: My first try at cane arrows
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 07:27:37 am »
Very nice job,have you shot them yet ,to see how they fly.
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

keekeerun

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 09:37:04 am »
Nice job,  I can't wait for my rose shoots to dry.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 09:39:09 am »
Those look good, Shannon. Once you get the cane figured out, you probably won't make arrows from anything else.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 12:32:34 pm »
Yea Pappy, I shot them a few times in my basement. I think four of them are good and the other two are stiff.  I really think I'm gonna like these arrows. They seem to hit my target awful hard ;D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 02:12:39 pm »
Too cool! Look great.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Bishop

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 02:23:09 pm »
very nice job!
Bishop

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 10:48:21 pm »
Them look great Shannon! Man you sure knocked em out quick, seems like you posted that cane a couple of weeks ago (still growing :D).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 11:53:59 pm »
Cowboy, I had these over a heater vent and they dried pretty fast. I'm sure they'll dry a little more, but I just couldn't wait. I had to try some!

Offline Strongbow88

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 12:04:07 am »
Them are some nice arrows they look better than the ones I sent you. They were the first two i ever made too.
Danny Johnson

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 01:37:16 am »
Where you been Strongbow?  I haven't caught you on here to thank you for the arrows.  I really like them.  Are they river cane?  I noticed the nodes are a lot farther apart on them than the cane I have and you did a super job straightening them.  Thanks again, you've turned me on to something else to tinker with ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 02:13:48 am »
Nice arrows, Shannon. With cane arrows, leave them a bit long to start with and trim if necessary. Also, on the 2 that don't fly well flip them over so you shoot them with the cock feather in towards the bow. Sometimes, thats all it takes.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Strongbow88

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 12:37:48 am »
Hey Saw filer you are very welcome. And Im am not sure what kind of cane they were I cut them at my dads house in leonia FL. Out of about 20 that I cut only 4 or so were good enough to make arrows. Most of them shrivled up when drying. I think they were to young. Looks like you got a pretty good start on cane arrows. Good luck And be blessed

Danny Johnson

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 09:28:05 am »
Really nice looking arrows there Shannon. Great job on you first ones.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

daniel

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 08:35:32 pm »
very nice!
how did U get these so straight? are U going to weight & spine test these arrows?