Author Topic: My first try at cane arrows  (Read 9389 times)

Offline FlintWalker

Re: My first try at cane arrows
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 10:30:40 pm »
Daniel, cane is easy to straighten with a little heat.  It's easier if you do it in sessions.  Maybe straighten in between the nodes one day, then the nodes another time and do a final touch up after you mount the points. I like to spin them to see how straight they are.
  These haven't been spine checked but I will as soon as I make a tester. They shoot best from my bows around 55-60#.  As for the weight, they run from around 480 to 580 grains. 
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 12:16:46 am »
They really look good. Did you cut the turkey feathers or did you get them pre cut?  They look real good. 

Otoe 
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 01:07:38 am »
Otoe, I have my feathers ground then chop them myself.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 01:37:59 am »
Very nice.  What'd you glue them on with? 

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2008, 01:59:57 am »
I lightly sanded the shaft and just used super glue gel.  Not very primitive, but fast and it works ;D

Offline Little John

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2008, 11:58:55 am »
Nice arrows, I have made a lot of cane and bamboo arrows and they always feel good in my quiver. I never made the plugs for the ends, just cut a self nock just above a node and cut slots for trade points or stone.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell